Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - just curious if the new owner plans to continue investing in equipment reviews? I have tried contacting them a couple times over the last week or two with some general questions and have not received any response (PMed newtechadmin - maybe wrong one?). Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm moving forward with appropriate expectations.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Here are the main posts so far:

I have a couple of questions. Who should I talk to about...

Equipment Reviews.
  • Will reviewers be paid for equipment reviews as in the past?
  • What will the payment amounts be? In the past the amounts were
    • $75 for speakers, amplifiers, AVRs, processors, etc.
    • $30 for headphones and headgear
    • Movies, see this post for details.
By way of explanation, the manufacturers pay shipping both ways, so there are normally no expenses involved in putting together a review other than the payment to the reviewer.

• Who will determine what should be reviewed and approve equipment and movie reviews? Previously, the Review Managers were:
    • Dale Rasco for equipment reviews, but he has not been active for awhile.
    • Mike Edwards for movies.
  • I am finishing a review on the MartinLogan EM-ESL Speakers that I have been working on for awhile. Will I be paid for it? I have put a lot of work into it, so I will publish it regardless, given permission.
  • There are two pieces of new equipment that we had recently discussed reviewing. With permission, I would like to proceed with those reviews - getting the equipment shipped to me - in the next few weeks. Can I get approval to proceed?
    • The new miniDSP DIRAC Live room EQ unit.
    • The new Axiom LFR880 Speakers with DSP and Amp.
Travel Reimbursement.

Sonnie had gotten pre-approval from VerticalScope for my trip costs (room only, I had already been reimbursed for air fare) for the AXPONA trip. Who should I communicate with to arrange reimbursement?

Thank you.

Wayne
Thanks for posing these questions, Wayne.

I also have 3 speaker review in the works (two are being held up by tweeter issues, that have reportedly been resolved. I'm waiting for replacements), with another to follow.

I too, would like to continue to represent Home Theater Shack at audio shows as I have in the past. Would allowances for travel and rooms be available to help us get news of the latest and greatest to our membership?

Another matter to consider. Will VerticalScope continue the annual staff bonuses?
I wouldn't mind talking to someone to see what our monthly film review budget is as well if were continuing that is...I'm just not aware of the proper person to talk to.
I have the same basic questions...but focused the paid work I do for HTS's daily Facebook support, news/preview articles, and movie reviews (although, I know Mike is the Review Manager for movies).

I'd also like to know who to send last month's work invoice to...we are more than a week into May, it would be nice to have a firm understanding of terms going forward, but also to receive the appropriate compensation for last month's work.

Also, Sonnie and I had discussed possibly having show coverage of some of the larger consumer electronics shows...I'm curious to know if VS is interested in exploring this.

I've tried communicating with VS staff, but have yet to receive an answer. Until then, I'm continuing to support all of the functions Sonnie and I agreed to...but I'm certainly eager/curious to hear from VS.

Thanks! Todd
I have a meeting Monday morning to go over this. We had a recent turnover of staff so things have been piling up with us running on a bit of a skeleton crew. I have all the documentation from all of you as well as from Sonnie. I will make sure everyone gets paid what they are owed I just have to get this organized so it will not be a confusion again. I sincerely apologize for the delay in this guys, I know this is frustrating but I am doing all I can to get it sorted out in short order. I am away the end of next week to the middle of the following week so I am making sure its all resolved before I am not here. You will have support helping with all you need on the site if I am here or not so dont think you are abandoned.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Their reply today. Not sure it's worth the trouble? Luther - are you a sub mod too?

newtechadmin said:
I see the problem, you are a sub mod. Sub mods do not have access to that section of the forum. You could ask the rest of the mods if they would like for you to be promoted to a mod. It needs to be a majority vote. ~km community support

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Peter, I guess I'm a sub mod too. I've really been waiting to see how the site is handled to determine how much enery I put into it.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Talked to Sonnie, here is MY UNDERSTANDING of what is happening.....

**Sonnie is back on board - at VS's request and without pay to prevent conflict with his SVS job - to get and keep HTS on course and successful.
**Sonnie will be the "glue layer" between the pre-VS admins, mods, and reviewers and the VS management and admins.
**Sonnie will call the shots relative to performance issues and getting questions resolved quickly, will have the authority to answer many questions and the authority to make most day-to-day decisions himself.
**Admins will be getting paid again.
**Hardware reviews will be paid for, do not know about movie reviews.
**Giveaways - probably in some form, TBD.
**Language and respectfulness rules will stay as they were pre-VS.

Official word of this should be posted shortly. Again, these are my words, beg pardon if I got something wrong or missed something important. Feel free to contact Sonnie directly.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Should we make room in the reviewing budget for a YouTube video Yes Man? :duck:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Provided we do a better job then they did! I watched maybe 2 minutes of that mess, but couldn't take it any more. It was awful.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,289 Posts
Is 'nutritional supplements' a euphemism for steroids? That one dude probably has enough backacne to play connect the dots. :yikes:

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is 'nutritional supplements' a euphemism for steroids?
Technically no (plus we definitely don't have the budget for that), but interpret it as you like... :) All I'm saying is that if you spend enough time in the gym you are qualified to do video reviews without actually listening to the products first :flex:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts