Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I bought a JVC LCD TV a couple of years ago out of our local Harvey Norman Electronics Store. It was a really good TV which had clear picture and a good sized screen that we even recommended my brother-in-law to buy one.

However, just over our 12 month ownership of the tv, and of course out of the warranty period, the picture has gone. When I start up the TV, the picture is perfectly clear, then within 1-3 mins the picture goes fuzzy with horizontal lines across the screen.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with it? If so, would you estimate it to be expensive to fix? Or would I be better off going to buy another TV for my bedroom?

Thanks in Advance !!

Merry Xmas !!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Are the lines across the entire screen? Can you post an image?

My first guess would be something in the power supply or main board. If it starts good then goes out, it is likely either something that fails as it gets hot or a capacitor problem.

Do you have a local TV servicer that you trust?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for replying. :) I tried uploading images using the android app but for some reason it wouldnt let me. yes the lines are across the entire screen and makes the picture blurry and fuzzy. at times the picture is not centered correctly either. the white and greenish lines run across the screen and sometimes a thick purple/pink line runs down the middle of the screen.

:( havent been to a tv repair man for years, so unfortunately none that I trust perse.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would call around to the local shops and see what they charge for estimates. If there is a member of The Pro Squad nearby that would be best, next choice would be a member of NESDA.

If the problem is thermal or a capacitor failing, a good tech may be able to repair it at the component level at a reasonable cost. It could also be a part that is not available without buying the board, but there is no way to know without troubleshooting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks heaps for the information. The problem is, the JVC that I have is no longer in production. I hope parts are still available. However, fixing it I guess isn't the major issue. I think if the cost of repairs amounts to the cost of a new TV, then I may as well buy a new TV for the bedroom. Hmmm ... Such difficult choices! Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts