Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Gain staging, which channel to output?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rhodesj 
#1 ·
Hi all

I'm using REW with output over HDMI, connected to my AVR. I have a MiniDSP connected to the subwoofer pre-output to equalize 2 subs. This works well, but I'm having some "challenges" with gain staging (as many others have, so I've read).

So I'm testing what the maximum input level is for the minidsp. First I set the XO to 200Hz on the AVR. I then let REW generate a 30Hz sine signal and then check the Minidsp dashboard to see how close I get to clipping. I'm using 30Hz cause I noticed this is the signal that gets closest to clipping on the minidsp input.

The question: when testing for clipping, should I let REW output the sine wave to one of the front output channels, or should I select the LFE channel as output in the ASIO settings?

I understand that the LFE channel runs 10 dB hot but I'm not sure how it affects typical music / movie listening.

#2 ·
The question: when testing for clipping, should I let REW output the sine wave to one of the front output channels, or should I select the LFE channel as output in the ASIO settings?
Assuming you’re talking about sending the receiver’s front channel output to the miniDSP, is the front channel output going to be hi-passed? If so you aren’t going to have much signal level at 30 Hz.

Regards,
Wayne

#3 ·
Hi Wayne

the minidsp only gets input from the AVR subwoofer pre-out.

So if I send the 30Hz wave to the fronts, the AVR would crossover the signal to the pre-out, which is connected to the minidsp inputs. The front speakers wouldnt actually receive any signal (as I set the XO to 200Hz)

my understanding is: Whether I let REW output via HDMI on the LFE channel or one of the front channels, the result at the minidsp inputs should be exactly the same except for 10 dB of difference in level. so,which channel to choose?

Wayne your understanding is obviously on a different level than mine, let me know if my thought process looks strange to you :)

#4 ·
Wayne your understanding is obviously on a different level than mine
Don’t know about that, I’m unclear on the LFE / typical movie / music thing too!

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone having issues via the LFE, so I’d say go with that. There really is no good reason to run the mini’s inputs all the way to the top though; no harm in dialing it back to a comfortable level.

Regards,
Wayne

#5 ·
the thing is, I want the input level as strong as possible. cause consequently that means the output will also be stronger. And I need that to prevent my subs going into standby at lower listening levels.

so ideally what I'd want is to set the input level just below clipping, at the loudest volume I typically listen, and with the sine wave sent to one of the mains.

But in that case, I'm afraid that during movies (with LFE running 10dB hot) it could still clip.

if I calibrate the input level with an LFE signal, I should be safe from clipping, it's just that the subs would receive quite a weak signal during typical listening.

So I'm thinking about is whether LFE is also running hot in a typical movie track or not. my logic says it shouldnt, but I'm not entirely sure...

I have a line level amplifier lying around somewhere. maybe I should just put that in the chain to boost the signals just after the minidsp.

#6 ·
the thing is, I want the input level as strong as possible. cause consequently that means the output will also be stronger. And I need that to prevent my subs going into standby at lower listening levels.
Quite understandable. :T The line booster is probably the way to go.

Is this the unbalanced miniDSP? If so this is a common complaint. It seems like a serious design flaw if it won’t take the signal from a typical AVR. Many people opt for the balanced version just to get the added capacity.

Regards,
Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.