Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Ilkka,

So you would recommend that I use the AVR's TT instead of DVE? I had always heard that DVE was the better way to go because it tests the entire signal path (from DVD player --> AVR to Speakers --> SPL meter). What you say makes perfect sense too. What about the other channels? Would it be better to simply calibrate all of them to keep consistancy, or use DVE for everything except the LFE channel? I know, I need to get AVIA.... just haven't gotten around to it yet.:innocent:
The signal path doesn't really matter at all in this case. I would use the AVR's test tones instead of DVE for all channels.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ilkka, you can still have quite a variance in response from 40Hz to 80Hz, so how do you account for it? I realize the CM-140 is pretty accurate in that range, other than maybe reading a db or so low on C-Weighting, which on an SPL meter 1db is pretty hard to adjust for, but on those who still have RS meters, that could be anywhere from 1db to 4db, with the C-Weighting reading low... 2db to 5db from 80-40Hz respectively. :scratch:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanx, Ilkka!

Up to now, I have been using the auto-cal for the Denon (AVR-2105) to get a rough starting point, then fine-tuning with DVE. I will re-fine-tune using the manual speaker trim in the Denon (much easier, too!). Oh, well.... at least there are those fantastic intro videos on DVE......

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Ilkka, you can still have quite a variance in response from 40Hz to 80Hz, so how do you account for it? I realize the CM-140 is pretty accurate in that range, other than maybe reading a db or so low on C-Weighting, which on an SPL meter 1db is pretty hard to adjust for, but on those who still have RS meters, that could be anywhere from 1db to 4db, with the C-Weighting reading low... 2db to 5db from 80-40Hz respectively. :scratch:
Varying frequency response is a bad thing when trying to adjust your subwoofer level with any kind of noise (band limited or not). The SPL meter measures the total energy, it can not tell if the frequency response is flat or not (unless we plug it into our computer). Depending on how flat frequency response you have, the noise method can give you good or really bad results. A major peak or wide null in 40-80 Hz range can throw off the readings big time. That's why I will always recommend taking an accurate frequency response measurement instead.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Vader said:
I had always heard that DVE was the better way to go because it tests the entire signal path (from DVD player --> AVR to Speakers --> SPL meter).
I agree in that I trust using the exact signal path my music and movies will follow for the final calibration. I use my receiver's built in tones as a starting point and then finish up with Avia's tones. I usually find a 1db variance on my right front channel and a couple db difference for the surrounds. I believe Avia has you set the surrounds a little hot :scratch:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Varying frequency response is a bad thing when trying to adjust your subwoofer level with any kind of noise (band limited or not). The SPL meter measures the total energy, it can not tell if the frequency response is flat or not (unless we plug it into our computer). Depending on how flat frequency response you have, the noise method can give you good or really bad results. A major peak or wide null in 40-80 Hz range can throw off the readings big time. That's why I will always recommend taking an accurate frequency response measurement instead.
That's exactly what I was thinking and somewhat stated, but in a different way of course. :dumbcrazy:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Sonnie:

Did you get your mic back, yet? I am curious to see how the CM-140 performs (accuracy and precision between meters) since I don't have a clue what my RS correction factors should be...I have the 33-4050 with a 04A04 code, which puts me squarely in limbo.

Thanks,
Pete

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I will call the lab on Monday and see where they stand on getting it calibrated. It's getting close to the time that should have called me for payment anyway.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just spoke with Felix at West Caldwell Calibration Lab and he stated he has my mic scheduled to calibrate today. Maybe by the end of the week I'll have it back in my hands.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The lab called today and they are shipping the mic back via UPS today with the cal file on disc. I should have it by Thursday or Friday... :T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
brucek has completed the necessary and very time consuming task of creating the .cal file for the Galaxy CM-140... much appreciation for his work on this!

The GALAXY140.cal is now available via the Downloads page.

The file is from 5Hz - 200Hz... therefore C-Weighting in REW does not have to be checked.

When measuring with the CM-140, be sure to set the meter to dBC, FAST and set the level to the 50-100 range.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi-

This is great. Any chance we get a file that does the whole spectrum?
:)

...or should we assume zero correction above 200hz and call it a day?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Any chance we get a file that does the whole spectrum?
No chance. We don't have the capability or equipment to do so. REW automatically assumes zero past 200Hz. I wouldn't trust it beyond 10KHz......

brucek

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sonnie,
I tried to down load the GALAXY 140 Cal. file to desktop and I get (WINDOWS CANNOT OPEN THIIS FILE) What do I do.
Thanks,
Leon

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Downloading and opening are two different tasks. Apparently you are not trying to download it, but rather you are trying to open it from the Downloads page. You need to download it first (save it) and then load it in REW. No reason to open the file unless you just wanna see the values... in that case, open Notepad and then open the file.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sonnie,
I have another question.. do you open the cal. file for both the Soundcard Screen and the Mic/Meter screens.
Thanks,
Leon

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No, you need a soundcard.cal file to open on the Soundcard tab. You will only open the GALAXY140.cal on the Mic/Meter tab.

You may want to read up on the REW Help files... it will explain how to make you soundcard calibration file. Then of course there are several threads pertaining to the same if you wanna scan down through them.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts