Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this only goes down to 31.5 Hz? Am I correct? I would need to use the Radio Shack meter for Bass and this up to 8Khz?

·
Registered
486 Posts
brucek,

Which is more accurate down to 10Hz?

1. CM140
2. RS meter
3. ECM8000 set-up

I will guess the ECM.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The ECM8000 is the best setup but you still need a SPL meter to get proper levels set, The CM140 is quite a bit better then the RS meter.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Yeah, I would say the ECM and the CM-140 are both pretty good down to 10Hz.

If you look at the correction files of the ECM and the CM-140, they're down ~-9dB and -10dB respectively. Below that they drop off pretty quick and you would be get into noise. The RS meters should only be used to about 15Hz.

brucek

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This graph looks pretty consistent which leads me to believe it is accurate way down low.
I guess it really does not matter but am I flat to 5Hz or am I pushing it to say that?:scratchhead:
The was measured with a C-140.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I guess it really does not matter but am I flat to 5Hz or am I pushing it to say that?
Yeah, it may be OK to 5Hz. You would have to look at the impulse response to be sure and check where the signal is dropping into the noise.

You have to consider the amount of boost that the cal file offers at the lower frequencies. When we created the cal file for the Galaxy, we found them to be quite a good mic with very good consistency between units. The 5Hz entry required 24dBSPL boost. That's quite a lot. If the response of the meter has dropped off 24dB, you are starting to get into the noise floor.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any meter below 10Hz...

brucek

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the appropriate limits of the graph and how do you interpret the impulse response?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
What are the appropriate limits of the graph
That depends on the noise level. In the vertical you want to see 0dBFS and then whatever scale is required to properly display the noise. The horizontal also depends on the bandwidth or your measurement.

Post the impulse response so we can see. I just want to see how far down your noise is. Obviously if it's -30dBFS, we can assume the response it shows at 5Hz is noise.
Again, either way, there's no usable information below about 10Hz, so I wouldn't be too concerned with anything below that.

brucek

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the impulse to 5 hz? No Audyssey
How is this?

Here is the same measurement with Audyssey

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
How is this?
Looks good. No problems. I just wanted to get a look at the level of your noise floor, and it's fine. I see no reason to dis-believe that the measurement to 5Hz is valid (as long as you used the CM-140 cal file)...

brucek

1 - 13 of 13 Posts