Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all from a new member in Malua Bay, New South Wales, Australia (on the east coast about 5 hours drive south of Sydney).

I'll have to come clean up front - I'm not that much into movies! (I do remember seeing High Noon when it first came out!) So, why am I here, you might reasonably ask, before unceremoniously tipping me out the hatch into deep space. I'm a wooden flute maker and researcher and am currently upgrading my computer audio equipment and environment to enable me to measure flute tone quality more accurately. So that's got me upgrading my mics and mic preamp, a new fire-wire audio interface to the computer to replace the computer sound-card, new monitor loudspeakers to replace the computer speakers, and trialling software I can use for tonal analysis. Because I have a background in professional audio and electronics, I can't stand having all the power of the computer applications hidden behind the ghastly on-screen mixers they give you in computer audio, so I'm developing my own sound interface box that will return easy accessibility and control to me.

Enough for the hardware, I also have to be aware that the quality of my measurements are going to be affected also by the quality of the acoustic environment, which is what brought me here. My background includes having designed and built a number of studios for community radio, but I'm sure there are new techniques and resources I can benefit from. So, the plan is to see what you guys are up to, and who knows, help where I can. Audio test and measurement are probably my strongest points of relevance to this group.

Terry

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello Terry, Welcome to the Shack!

Making wooden flutes by hand sounds like a very challenging job, Would love to see some pictures of your work.

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Terry, welcome to HomeTheaterShack. It is wonderful to have you here and to draw upon your vast and varied experience. There is a trove of information here. If there is anything you do not see, please do not hesitate to ask. So glad you found us.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, people for the warm welcome.

Woah, I've just been looking around and I'd have to say my head is spinning - there's rather a lot here isn't there!

Tonyvdb, you can see the kind of flutes I make on my website (being a newbie here I can't post a link but you'd find me by Googling "mcgee flutes"). It is probably the hardest thing I've ever done, but that only makes it more fun, right? You'll see a lot of my researches published there as well. It's a field that is more ruled by tradition (including rather a lot of snake oil) than science, but I'm trying to inject a little light in there.

Terry

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Terry. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts