Price: $1095

Manufacturer specs:
• Short term RMS @ 1 m (halfspace) 100 dB SPL
• Input channels 5 main + LFE
• Sum out outputs 0
• Driver 205 mm (8")
• Free field frequency response 25 - 85 Hz (LFE 85/120 Hz) ±3 dB
• Bass level +12...-6 dB (variable)
• Bass roll-off 0 to -6 dB @26 Hz (2 dB/step)
• Phase adjustment 0 to -270° (90°/step) @85 Hz
• Amplifier power 70 W
• Dimensions (H x W x D) mm 410 x 350 x 319 mm, inches 16 1/8 x 13 3/4 x 12 9/16"
• Weight 18 kg (39.6 lb)

Configuration as tested:
Phase: 0 degrees
Bass roll-off: 0 dB
Orientation: Woofer facing the mic

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The outlook of this sub definitely causes some disagreements; you either love it or hate it. The build quality itself is very high. Extension is pretty good for an 8" subwoofer. Frequency response stays very flat in its operating range, though both slopes are very steep. The low pass filter slope is very steep, but the lowest setting is only around 80 Hz, meaning a proper 2-channel use requires an external filter. Genelec also uses a 3rd order (18dB/oct.) high pass filter below the tuning frequency. The output chokes above 90 dB and the THD goes pretty high. The 95 dB sweep was affected by the built-in limiter which limits the amp output in order to protect the voice coil from over-heating. That causes the sudden drop in output below 50 Hz. You won't see this kind of phenomenon with normal program material. Group delay rises quickly below 35 Hz, and goes slightly above the 1 cycle limit. Spectral decay shows quite a lot of ringing/stored energy around tuning frequency. Spectral contamination test shows lower than average maximum output capability with higher than average overall distortion. Small spaces and low listening levels are this subwoofer’s best friends.

+ Good extension
+ Flat frequency response
+ Steep crossover
+ Build quality and sturdy enclosure

- Low maximum output capability
- High mid/deep bass distortion at higher than low output levels
- Some ringing around the tuning frequency

M

·
0 Posts
I'll be very interested in hearing your comments on this sub. I'm thinking of getting one for my living room hometheater to complement my Genelec 8030's but these measurments seems to put it in a kind of bad light. Not that I really know what the graphs all means I must add. :)

It seems to my layman eyes that it might have been overloaded at 90 dB SPL outdoors causing all sorts of bad things to happen? And that playing it at 90dB SPL inside a normal living room would create much better results since it needn't be driven so close to it's maximum?

As I said, I'm eagerly awaiting your comments on this sub.

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be very interested in hearing your comments on this sub. I'm thinking of getting one for my living room hometheater to complement my Genelec 8030's but these measurments seems to put it in a kind of bad light. Not that I really know what the graphs all means I must add. :)

It seems to my layman eyes that it might have been overloaded at 90 dB SPL outdoors causing all sorts of bad things to happen? And that playing it at 90dB SPL inside a normal living room would create much better results since it needn't be driven so close to it's maximum?

As I said, I'm eagerly awaiting your comments on this sub.
The 8030's are capable of quite high SPLs, especially when filtering the lower frequencies away. In HT use the 7050B would probably not be able to keep up at anything higher than moderate levels. You wouldn't like to hear constant compression and high distortion levels (Though you should notice that all Genelecs I tested didn't really like the constant test signals that are generally used. They seem to perform somewhat better with more dynamic signals ie. more program material like). How large room you have and what kind of levels do you usually use (if calibrated)? You're being right that room gain and boundary gain help the sub to perform better while indoors, but still, 8" subwoofer is still a 8" subwoofer. 7060B would offer you more extension and also higher max SPL. Of course its $1000 more.

IMHO you could get more performance for a dollar from some other sub manufacturers. But then naturally you would have to use external crossovers.

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ikka, much appreciated!

I understand that the 7050B will not be able to match the 8030s SPL wise. My thinking/hope is that it might however do for the SPL that I use.

I made some measurments with a dB meter in my living room while playing a movie as loud as I normaly play and the SPL was peaking around 90dB (C-weigthed). The measurments was made at normal listening distance about 3.5 meters from the speakers. I don't know if 90dB is considered moderate or not.

The room's measurments are 4 m wide, 5 m long and the ceiling height is 3 meters.

If money wasn't an issue, and if it wasn't so large, I would go with the 7060B.

Do you think a 7050B could work good for my situation? Also, is it obvious when a speaker suffers compression?

Thanks again,
Mussla

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
90 dBC peak is considered moderate. 20 m^2 with high ceilings can still be a bit too much for the 7050B though. You should definitely try to get one for a quick test before making the final decision.

Speaker compression is usually pretty audible, since usually the speaker would output loads of distortion at the same time. Although the Genelecs are bit different and it's very difficult to get them distort or compress.

Subwoofers are a bit different though, since distortion isn't that audible at the lower frequencies. You might overload and distort your sub (even the Genelec) if you don't have much experience with subwoofers. But when one is used to clean and compression free sound, it's pretty easy to tell when the subwoofer is pushed too hard.

M

·
0 Posts
I got one and it works nicely for my needs in my room. I rarely play louder then 90 dBC which probably is a big reason that it works so good.

The positive thing about it is that it integrates great with my Genelec "satelites" probably due to the built in crossover. I have actually not heard any sub that blends in so well with the other speakers as this one. Maybe that is because the subs I have heard have been poorly setup (and I used RoomEQWizard to set the levels and phase so i think i got it right). What i have usually experienced with subs is that from song to song the level needs to be tinkered with. The sub is either to loud or to silent. Not so with this one. Integrates perfectly.

I'm very happy with it for my purposes for both music and film. But this sub is probably only worthwhile with other Genelec speakers to use with it. And the selling point is likely the bass managment built in.

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got one and it works nicely for my needs in my room. I rarely play louder then 90 dBC which probably is a big reason that it works so good.

The positive thing about it is that it integrates great with my Genelec "satelites" probably due to the built in crossover. I have actually not heard any sub that blends in so well with the other speakers as this one. Maybe that is because the subs I have heard have been poorly setup (and I used RoomEQWizard to set the levels and phase so i think i got it right). What i have usually experienced with subs is that from song to song the level needs to be tinkered with. The sub is either to loud or to silent. Not so with this one. Integrates perfectly.

I'm very happy with it for my purposes for both music and film. But this sub is probably only worthwhile with other Genelec speakers to use with it. And the selling point is likely the bass managment built in.
That is really nice to hear. :T Congratulations! Could you post a simple frequency response graph since you have used the REW?

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks Ilkka!

Here's a fullrange measurment of the 7050B and my Left 8030. This curve is trace smoothed to 1/12 octave.

Here's the same curve as above but zoomed in on the lower regions and trace smoothed to 1/24 octave.

The target level was 75 dB for the measurment (indicated by the blue line). The -3dB point is at 26Hz. Pretty close to advertised.

I do need to tinker a bit more with the placement of the sub as the curve does not look this flat with either the sub+C nor the sub+R speaker. It would also be nice to get rid of the dip around 130 Hz. I think it's due to the 8030's being too close to the wall behind them. According to the manual this distance should be above 1 m but it is more like 10 cm's. Not much I can do about that.

All in all I'm very happy with the sub's performance/integration. Comments are welcome :)

PS. What a fantastic program Room EQ Wizard is!:T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.