Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
No, they're speaker terminals like the ones on the back of an AVR.

If you're using an older AVR that doesn't have a subwoofer output, you normally run speaker wire:
- from the L+R speaker-level outputs on your AVR to the L+R speaker-level inputs on the sub; and
- from the L+R speaker-level outputs on the sub to your L+R speakers.

And then you use the sub's high-cut / low-pass filter (a.k.a. the crossover) to blend the sub with your mains.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My entire view on home audio has been changed. I thought those were rcas and that wire terminals are becoming obsolete

·
Registered
578 Posts
My entire view on home audio has been changed. I thought ... wire terminals are becoming obsolete
Curious: Why would you think that?

I'm wondering because:
- I don't ever recall seeing AVR and speaker manufacturers trending away from using speaker-wire terminals.
- With the advent of AVRs with dedicated subwoofer outputs and bass management, while some manufacturers have dropped speaker-level connections on their subs in favour of line-level connections only, there are still many brands and models out there that have both.

Thanks. :)

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Those are what are known as 5-way binding posts. The open center hole is for banana plugs, the plastic unscrews with a through hole for wire or pins, or you can sandwich down thicker wire or spade lugs.

Most speaker-wire terminals I see now are larger in diameter and look a little different, but that design was common for a long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts