Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In cases where dips are around 10-12db, is is acceptable to set target level low purposely? It seems easier to drop frequencies and extend Q rather than work with a +3db maximum gain. (pre-amp only has gain range of -12db to +3db, which is why I would drop my target level)

Is it more important to fix dips, or peaks? Is it bad to drop a frequency by 12db? Is this too much?

On mains, I noticed default target kinda rolls off after 10k, is this acceptable, or am I wanting a straight line?

:help:

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts

You want to fix both dips and peaks, as long as the former isn’t a null. It’s fine to set the Target low if that’s what your equalizer requires. The only downside is that you’ll significantly lower the signal level of the affected output (subwoofer?). There’s a chance you won’t be able to make up for the loss with your sub’s gain control.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I was asking because it seems I have common 'dips'. How can I tell if it's a dip or a null? I averaged my responses, and have attached it below. Looks like a 'null' at 200, and another at 300? I'm guessing if all channels are affected it is a null, these are best corrected with acoustic paneling or bass traps? Thanks again...

average - all channels.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts