Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to run the setup documented here [1] with the same microphone, a Scarlett 2i2 USB interface and a Lenovo W510 running Ubuntu 12.04. I have installed REW 5.01. My DMM is a Tenma 72-7720.

In order for me to get the 1.1 reading on the Tenma DMM I have to set the Output and Playback devices setting to 153% in the Pulse Audio Volume Control utility, then on the Scarlett 2i2 I set the Direct Monitor to On and rotate the dial to 95% of its rotation.

When I disconnect the clip leads and plug in the XLR loopback with the right channel gain control rotated to its minimum, the light-ring on the right channel gain control is red. The right channel is set to line, not instrument (inst). The Scarlett 2i2 manual indicated that when the light-rings turn red the signal is al least 0dBFS. That does not allow me to increase the input gain of the Scarlett 2i2 in step 6, at least without reducing the output through which seems to defeat the setup in step 3.

I have also posted a comment on the Hifizine blog.

What should I do?

1. http://johnr.hifizine.com/2013/03/room-eq-wizard-spl-calibration-without-an-slm/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wayne, thanks much. I think that works.

Just to confirm my results: I set the output level using the DMM with the Direct Monitor on at -3dBFS to get the 1.1v reading, disconnect the leads, turn off the Direct Monitor, plug the loop back cable into the input then set the input level at -43dBFS and set the input gain, correct?

My input channel gain is now controllable and I can adjust the gain so the light-ring is green.

Thanks again !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts