Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Exactly. They want to see what the speakers will really do without any room interaction.

As for keeping room gain in mind when designing Ethan, they have to. Yes - every room will be different in terms of modal issues. However, the entire spectrum does get some gain. Take an amplifier and a speaker of your choice and measure the speaker spectrum at 1W input in an anechoic chamber. Then measure it again with 1W outside. Then 1 last time in a room at 1W. You'll find that the overall average level will differ between the 3 situations even though it's the same system, same speakers, same power applied, etc.

Some speakers even count on the walls for their 'effects' - think Bose, think Martin Logain, think any speaker tha has a bass driver close to the floor to extend apparent 'in room' response.

The trick is to get the room ISSUES ironed out and still allow it to function in harmony with the speaker as designed. If I can get the room peaks and nulls smoothed but keep the gain, then I've done part of my job

Specific manufacturers even spec how far from the front wall the speakers should be placed. Why? To get the SBIR to HELP the response in certain areas. It's not pretty but it's real.

Bryan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good to see you here Ethan. It is always a pleasure to have your knowledge in a forum, so please put this on your "every day" list. If for nothing else but the cool smilies you can use. :praying: :dontknow: :joke: :scared:

Glenn

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
No, they test speakers in anechoic chambers to remove any room effects, such that they can reveal the speakers true response. This keeps an apples to apples comparison between manufacturers.

brucek

hi guy's, first actual post!! :bigsmile: Another reason (just in case anyone didn't already guess) why
manufactures use an anechoic chamber to measure speakers, is so pro-sound installers can weigh up a speakers suitability to a particular application with a certain amount of accuracy.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts