Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A client of mine came up with this. The metal stuff is Cable Tray used by electrical contractors. It can be found for about a buck or two per foot. His Pics can do the rest of the talking.
Wood Floor Hardwood Flooring Wood stain
Wood Metal
Wall Material property Aluminium Rectangle
Wood Hardwood Floor Plywood Furniture

DD

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
100mm in this case. The only downside seems to be very variable cost. I have seen it advertised over a three to one price range.
The fibre was 100mm thick Rocksilk RS100. Fabric is just cotton bedsheet I reckon.

DD

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some are hanging as clouds. Some are straddling corners as bass traps. Others are hanging for side reflection duty. Others are moved about as Gobos to create macro acoustics when recording instruments or vocals.
They are very robust. I know it's very simple, but therein lies the beauty for me. I feel kinda chuffed and proud of my client/friend, John Crone of Manor Studio Cobh Ireland.
After a request, he sent me a photo 'essay' of all the build details.
http://www.irishacoustics.com/index.php/acoustics/diy-acoustic-traps/
DD

·
Registered
355 Posts
I JUST made some adsorbers, I wish I would have known about that channeling stuff, all I could find was 1"x.5" drywall edging which I used 2 pieces per side of 2" thick rockwool - that required tape and much more complexity than than this system - awesome idea!

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Great idea on a frame!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought materials to make about 8 panels/traps, will be taking the wood back to do this! Great idea.

Are there any advantage/disadvantages to using wood vs. steel (from an acoustic perspective)?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A client of mine came up with this. The metal stuff is Cable Tray used by electrical contractors. It can be found for about a buck or two per foot.
I do not want large metal-framed objects in my listening room. I am concerned about camouflaging them and preventing their edges from damaging other things in the room. In fact, that is the only drawback that I saw in the RealTraps stuff that I tried.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do not want large metal-framed objects in my listening room. I am concerned about camouflaging them and preventing their edges from damaging other things in the room. In fact, that is the only drawback that I saw in the RealTraps stuff that I tried.
I agree with the stealth approach

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
We put ours in Japanese Kimonos, and wrapped some in Japanese Kimomo silk material and then hung them on the wall as decorations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts