Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
German Physiks - Room 1025

Models represented:

No code has to be inserted here.

Link to the German Physiks website.

Wayne's Impressions

Central to the German Physiks design is their true-omnidirectional DDD (for Dicks Dipole Driver) driver covering the 200 Hz to 24 KHz without a crossover. A down-firing woofer extends response to 32 HZ.

The design of the DDD driver scares me a little. The elegance of the design requires a lot of factors to all come together perfectly, including materials, stiffness, geometries, multiple simultaneous motion modes - it is a complicated design, made to enter controlled breakup at just the right frequency. But they seem to have figured it all out, because the MKII's ended up being Disappearing Speaker Act #4 at RMAF.

I walked all around and in between the speakers as they played and while there was some movement of the sound field, it stayed quite consistent with that movement. "The tyranny of the sweet spot no longer exists," quipped Michael Broughton of Audiophile Source, a consultant who had set up the room and was now running the music. You really could have a group enjoying the music in a room while socializing, and have everyone actually hearing a soundstage with decent imaging from almost any part of the room. The same could apply to home theater applications - great imaging and soundstage from every seat. The setup at RMAF was well out from the walls, which might not work for home cinema. They have models made for close-to-wall and on-wall mounting - I did not get to hear how well they perform relative to the MKII's.

The soundstage was at its best, as was imaging, at the typical sweet spot position, and softened up a bit as I moved around the room, but it stayed respectably stable from all locations I experimented with. I listened carefully for smearing on sibilants and for other signs of image blurring or wandering, and it stayed very stable on the tracks I heard, which included my most stringent image test tracks.

Tonality was well balanced and high frequencies were smooth. The German Physiks Unlimited MKII's left nothing wanting in any performance category I could think of. The DDD driver design is truly one of the finest examples of successfully-executed design elegance I can think of in any kind of product, and is a speaker that will should find its place on anyone's short list in the $10,000 and up price range, especially where group enjoyment of a shared sweet spot is a priority. Other than certain horn designs, which can also be quite effective at projecting a room-filling sweet spot, I cannot think of a speaker that accomplishes it better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Wayne,

I hope this post won’t be seen as inappropriate, but I wanted to acknowledge your post and give credit to all those involved in making our room sound as good as it did.

Many thanks for coming by our room and for taking the time to listen properly and find out about our products. We had one reviewer tell us that the speakers were very good, but that they would benefit from a sub-woofer and a super tweeter. A hit man has been engaged and we do not anticipate this problem reoccurring ☺

My colleague and good friend Mike Broughton certainly did a very good job of setting up the room, though we should also give credit to Vitus Audio in Denmark for their great electronics and to Purist Audio, from Texas in your own fair land for their equally excellent cables.

The DDD driver is the result of the labours of an engineer called Peter Dicks who became fascinated by Lincoln Walsh’s original design, which was used in the legendary Ohm F speakers. Peter made a computer model to see how Walsh’s driver worked and then over a period of several years produced a large number of prototypes, which allowed successive improvements in the computer model. This was then taken up by loudspeaker company owner Holger Mueller and together they worked to produce the DDD driver we have today. Peter is now retired and spends much of his time on the golf course, but I know he gets a kick out seeing the driver he spent so much time developing mentioned in the media. More information on his driver may be found in the Technology section of our web site. Your system prevents me from posting the URL, but it is easy enough to find.

Robert Kelly
German Physiks

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
This is very interesting. I've had friends in the past that owned Ohm speakers. This looks like a newer high-tech re-birth of the design. I wish there was a dealer in my area so I could listen to them.

Thanks German Physiks for the design, it's nice to see something like this again.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Wayne,

I hope this post won’t be seen as inappropriate, but I wanted to acknowledge your post and give credit to all those involved in making our room sound as good as it did.

Many thanks for coming by our room and for taking the time to listen properly and find out about our products. We had one reviewer tell us that the speakers were very good, but that they would benefit from a sub-woofer and a super tweeter. A hit man has been engaged and we do not anticipate this problem reoccurring ☺

My colleague and good friend Mike Broughton certainly did a very good job of setting up the room, though we should also give credit to Vitus Audio in Denmark for their great electronics and to Purist Audio, from Texas in your own fair land for their equally excellent cables.

The DDD driver is the result of the labours of an engineer called Peter Dicks who became fascinated by Lincoln Walsh’s original design, which was used in the legendary Ohm F speakers. Peter made a computer model to see how Walsh’s driver worked and then over a period of several years produced a large number of prototypes, which allowed successive improvements in the computer model. This was then taken up by loudspeaker company owner Holger Mueller and together they worked to produce the DDD driver we have today. Peter is now retired and spends much of his time on the golf course, but I know he gets a kick out seeing the driver he spent so much time developing mentioned in the media. More information on his driver may be found in the Technology section of our web site. Your system prevents me from posting the URL, but it is easy enough to find.

Robert Kelly
German Physiks
Robert,

Thank you very much for the post and for the additional details. I was in a hurry getting from room to room at the show and failed to get the support info about some rooms. By all means, credit is due Vitus Audio and Purist Audio for their contributions to your room. It was a great room to spend some quality time in and get familiar with a unique product. The engineering work that Mr. Dicks's put into the design is certainly a success from what I could hear. A super-tweeter and a subwoofer - the nerve!

I look forward to RMAF 2014 and will be interested in seeing and hearing what offerings you will have there.

Wayne

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Wayne,

Peter Dicks is a very clever guy. Also a very nice one. We have one model called the Unicorn that uses one DDD driver to cover the entire range from 40Hz to 24kHz. It uses a horn to produce useful LF from the bottom end of the DDD driver's range. It is a great sounding speaker but has a negative WAF.

May I quote your original item on our Facebook page and our web site in our show report? I will of course provide a link back to the Home Theater Shack web site.

I am not sure what we will bring to the Rocky Mountain Show next year. I like the small rooms as they are very informal and this means we cannot use anything very big, so maybe the Unlimiteds again or possibly the next model up, the HRS-120.

We are going to be at the Axpona show in Chicago next April where we will be providing the speakers for the 5.1 high resolution software demonstration by Aix records. We are bringing the next to top of the line Emperors for the main channels, Borderlands for the sides and centre and a custom subwoofer. Hopefully it will all get there in time and in one piece. I would be very happy to meet you and any of your members who make to the show.

Robert

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Wayne,

Peter Dicks is a very clever guy. Also a very nice one. We have one model called the Unicorn that uses one DDD driver to cover the entire range from 40Hz to 24kHz. It uses a horn to produce useful LF from the bottom end of the DDD driver's range. It is a great sounding speaker but has a negative WAF.

May I quote your original item on our Facebook page and our web site in our show report? I will of course provide a link back to the Home Theater Shack web site.

I am not sure what we will bring to the Rocky Mountain Show next year. I like the small rooms as they are very informal and this means we cannot use anything very big, so maybe the Unlimiteds again or possibly the next model up, the HRS-120.

We are going to be at the Axpona show in Chicago next April where we will be providing the speakers for the 5.1 high resolution software demonstration by Aix records. We are bringing the next to top of the line Emperors for the main channels, Borderlands for the sides and centre and a custom subwoofer. Hopefully it will all get there in time and in one piece. I would be very happy to meet you and any of your members who make to the show.

Robert
Feel free to quote and/or link the review post as you see fit. I am tentatively planning on attending Axpona in April. If I do, be sure I will look you up. A combined demo of German Physiks and AIX will be something to look forward to.

Best of luck.

Wayne

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to hear 'any' of them. I'm really curious how they react to room acoustics in a real-world room of most homes.
If Robert and the G.P. crew have a beat-up eval pair of one of their more modest-sized full-range offerings that they could do without for a few weeks, I would gladly give them a temporary home and report on their performance in two different very-real-world rooms, with a variety of music types, properly supported by a 400 W/ch Crown power amp. (Also be aware that I have a couple of calibrated measurement mics that love to take part in the review process.) I fully understand that practicalities might not allow them to fulfill such a request/offer, and I am not trying to put anyone on the spot. Just floating the idea.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would love to hear 'any' of them. I'm really curious how they react to room acoustics in a real-world room of most homes.
Hi Ray,

Generally our speakers and I believe other omnidirectional speakers, are less critical of room acoustics than most conventional forward radiating speakers are. This is because at all frequencies you have a much greater number of possible paths between the speaker and the listener, so the net gain in level tends to be near to zero rather than producing a peak or a trough. Reverberation is as much a problem for omnis as it is for other designs.

As for placing, I find they are nowhere near as critical as conventional speakers can be. Generally the first place we try produces a good sound stage and then a bit of fiddling improves on that. I have never had to spend hours making small adjustments to get the sound right. We have had similar comments in recent reviews.

All the best,

Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
If Robert and the G.P. crew have a beat-up eval pair of one of their more modest-sized full-range offerings that they could do without for a few weeks, I would gladly give them a temporary home and report on their performance in two different very-real-world rooms, with a variety of music types, properly supported by a 400 W/ch Crown power amp. (Also be aware that I have a couple of calibrated measurement mics that love to take part in the review process.) I fully understand that practicalities might not allow them to fulfill such a request/offer, and I am not trying to put anyone on the spot. Just floating the idea.:bigsmile:
I would certainly be interested to do this in the future. At present we are looking for a new US distributor as our present distributor is fully occupied with manufacturing and selling a product they have developed themselves, so do not have the time to look after us properly. Once this has been sorted out,then I would like to see what can be arranged.

All the best,

Robert

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Hi Ray,

Generally our speakers and I believe other omnidirectional speakers, are less critical of room acoustics than most conventional forward radiating speakers are. This is because at all frequencies you have a much greater number of possible paths between the speaker and the listener, so the net gain in level tends to be near to zero rather than producing a peak or a trough. Reverberation is as much a problem for omnis as it is for other designs.

As for placing, I find they are nowhere near as critical as conventional speakers can be. Generally the first place we try produces a good sound stage and then a bit of fiddling improves on that. I have never had to spend hours making small adjustments to get the sound right. We have had similar comments in recent reviews.

All the best,

Robert
Robert,

Thanks for the response. I've never thought of it that way, always thinking that Omni's are much harder to place and not the other way around. I hope there will be a dealer in my area sometime in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Robert,

Thanks for the response. I've never thought of it that way, always thinking that Omni's are much harder to place and not the other way around. I hope there will be a dealer in my area sometime in the future.
Hello Ray,

I also hope we will have a dealer near you in the future.

When I have demonstrated our loudspeakers, I have generally found that the first place I have set them produced a good stereo image and generally good sound and then a bit more experimenting helped to optimise this. I have never had to spend a long time moving them small amounts back and forth before I got a good sound. If you are lazy like me and just want to listen to music, this is great. I suspect this ease of set up will apply to other omnis like MBL and Duevel.

There is a review of the Unlimited in Tone Audio where the reviewer talks about how easy they were to set up. You can find this on our web site. I can't post the URL as I have made enough posts to this forum yet, but if you go to the Unlimited page on our web site and then scroll down the page to the Test Reports section, it is the last link.

All the best,

Robert

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not 100% sure about this... It would seem that a speaker with a sweet spot that is extremely broad, more like a broad sweet area, like the German Physiks, would also be easier than most to place, while speakers with extremely narrow sweet spots are difficult to place. That is what my experience has been, although it might not be universally true.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suspect you may be correct, but as my experience of speakers with a very broad sweet spot is limited to German Physiks I would not want to be too dogmatic about this in case this. Maybe Duevel or MBL owners would like to share their experiences.

Robert Kelly
German Physiks

·
Registered
1 Posts
First to comment on Duevel Planets.

What surprise unpacking, they are small the Planets. Not very heavy which is benefit for the move . Placed on a stone of Volvic 5 cm thick, plugged into an amp 2 x 50W lamp itself on a dedicated computer music and a Rega dac , I turn all for a first listen.

Before I tell you my impression, I stated that my listening room is 16 m2 with 270 ceiling .

My first impression was a great satisfaction , the sound filled the room like never before. An incredible surround sound over conventional speakers. In terms of sound quality, very precise acute , medium a little weak in my first listen, this very serious and tense. Subsequently after a few hours of listening to different music, no ear fatigue . Whatever the listening up a nice stereo rendering without too present . All very balanced.

I saw when I the world, I can keep a decent volume without people beside the speakers are bothered by volume.

After 15 days now listening mediums were opened , the tracks are very nice and accurate.
Pending the break is over and I can conclude : the sound quality is very precise. The bass is very present tense and does not drag on, mediums even with a small flats, they sometimes lack presence , acute as are precise without being aggressive. The most important is the sound that filled the space we find ourselves in the sound, the source disappears in part, nothing is sometimes flat as with conventional speakers. If we close our eyes , we come to realize that its just around our ears.

I hesitated to buy because opinions differ greatly on what type of speaker , but I was on the outcome on the soundscape but not the quality of reproduction . If I could listen to them, I would not have hesitated so long.

For 1000 they exceed € , as many speakers to the same price .

Anette and I thank Markus Duevel for their research of their love of music .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts