Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would not buy anything from this guy unless you see it running several times in his shop and check it thoroughly. This is the kind of shop that does not do the homework nor the proper testing to get the job done right.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That was the impression I was getting after reading on these forums how you (obviously) good technicians go about your repairs. Seems to me that they fix the problem instead of fixing the problem after finding out WHY the problem existed in the first place in order to get volume out the door.

I actually saw the set running, it looked great, it sounded great..the resolution was superior to the TV I had. The overall condition of the set was decent, though the screen had a bit of a scuff that wasn't visible when the TV was actually "ON".

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It may be worth it just to get a set that works at this point.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That's what I was thinking initially. I've only been able to view the set for a total of 2 hrs since I got it from my mom and back from the initial repair. AFAIC, that investment is a complete loss..it's been long enough that I don't feel the loss of the money as being the larger factor, at this point it's the loss of the TV, or the fact that I have an unusable hulk in my basement with an old 27" tube tv sitting on top of it as my entertainment area...it's quite ridiculous really. For 250 and a warranty, it might be worth pitching to the wife to take a stab at. I'll let her be the decision maker on this one since she has less patience for the whole ordeal than I have had.

I'll keep the thread updated until I have a final resolution.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ah, well...I did some measuring and the 59 1/2 inch height does present a problem in getting the unit down the stairs. Can you remove the top of these to get them down a stairs with a low clearance?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't know on that set.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, to conclude this fiasco.....

I got my Harmony 880 remote from Amazon.com for $69...love it!
I got the Toshiba 65inch. The 65hc15 apparently was made for Costco. It's a split case design, so transporting it is easier than the old 50 inch, and lighter in comparison...good things!

It's *******' HUGE! WOW. My repair guy drove it up here ( 30 miles ) and helped me get it into the basement this morning. I then spent a good deal of the afternoon rearranging everything in the basement and setting it up ( still not done ).

The good news is that he's never touched the TV's internals and is giving me a 30 day warranty on it.

A little bit of adjusting and I'm a happy camper.

My only gripe is that the component inputs from my DVD player have a yellowish hue to them, it looks better through the RCA cables. The TV has an HDMI input, so I'm going to get a cable and use that for the DVD player.

For $250 and a few months of waiting, I'm happy to say the ordeal is concluded and I shouldn't ever have to see him for anything again. I will find a new technician.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Does the set remember settings like color temp by input?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not too sure, I haven't really read into the specs all that much and have just started messing with the controls and color temp. I did have to adjust the colors from what it came to me like because there was too much of a "tan" on the actors in movies. I've got that adjusted properly.

Beyond that, this particular TV is just a monitor...which honestly is what I would have purchased if I had gone out and bought one on purpose. I'll post up some of the relevant specs later this evening when I get home and have a chance to sift through the product manual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Gotta quick question before I make a purchase....is there THAT much of a difference in HDMI cables where if I were to pick up a cheap cable ( under 10 bucks ) that it wouldn't make the picture any better than running RCA cables, or is that were I'm going to get the upconversion on my DVD's. I know there is a ridiculous amount of companies making HDMI cables running the gambit of prices and "features", but I'm not spending 80 dollars for one cable. I'd just like to see what this TV is capable of through the HDMI input.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Generally, cables from Monoprice are hard to beat for price and performance, but any good inexpensive cable will likely work for short runs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So essentially, a 6ft cable is going to perform pretty well regardless of price, but if I were to say, run a cable to a projector, I'd want quality because that cable would most likely run potentially 20 some odd feet and then you are dealing with long cable resistance/interference issues?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well, bought a 15 dollar cable from a company called Volo and it works just fine. The TV does have color temp settings that can be saved.

All I gotta do now is tweak my Harmony remote and all will be good and right in my little corner of the world. :daydream:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts