Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
John Reekie has produced a great blog post about how to work around the problems Java has on OS X with audio input from Firewire cards, multi-input USB cards and 48kHz sources. You can find the cure for these JavaSound ills at Room EQ Wizard on the Mac - An Input Workaround. Great work John, and thank you!

Edit 12th September: Here is a related post on using HDMI output with REW on OS X, thanks to EmagSamurai: 8 channel HDMI output from REW on the Mac.

Edit 29th June 2014: Use V5.01 beta 21 or later (available here) for OS X 10.7.3 onwards, removes the need for workarounds.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Thanks John :)

If anyone using REW on the Mac with one of these specific cases tries the workaround, please do report back here on how it worked out. Thank you ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Macbook Pro running OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) with a Presonus AudioBox USB. I tried to running REW last night for the first time on the Mac, but couldn't get past the calibration stage. I kept getting Impulse Response and Range errors (I forget the exact wording at the moment). I have no problems at all using the AudioBox USB on my Windows 7 based laptop.

I just came across this blog about Mac/Java and look forward to trying this method out. I'll report my findings once I test it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It worked fine with me... Thanks a million! :wave:

I had installed today REW 5.01 Beta 13 on my Mac Mini (running under OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion). My sound card is a UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid to which I hooked a Behringer ECM8000.

At first, when using REW with the Behringer calibration file, there was no result. I tried to set the level through "check levels" on Preference / Soundcard tab and got only a signal on the "out" display.

I have then tried the "Getting around the limitations of JavaSound on OS X" workaround, which allowed me to see results on the "in" display.

Now I have to understand why I see crazy results... but my room acoustics is far from being simple - hence my quest to analyse it with REW...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It did work perfectly for me.
I have a MBP13" from 2009 with 10.6.8 on it. The soundcard is a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and the mic an ECM8000.
I just followed each of the steps, and it worked.

So a big thank you !

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
It did work perfectly for me.
I have a MBP13" from 2009 with 10.6.8 on it. The soundcard is a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and the mic and ECM8000.
I just followed each of the steps, and it worked.

So a big thank you !
:clap:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
roubi and pat17, glad it worked for you. I was wondering if there was an extra (half) step needed to set the soundcard to 44.1kHz, but it doesn't seem to be needed (I'm assuming at this point that REW/JS does it). Thank you for posting your result :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually changer the frequency setting in my fast track ultra control panel to 44.1, but I didn't try leaving it at 48000. Everybody at the same frequency can not be wrong !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you very much John

This post helped me get the system working. I use an RME Fireface UC USB interface.

Your REW software is great!

Arnau Olivé

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im working with a 2007 MacBook (yeah, I know, time for a new computer -- but a solid state hard drive and software updates to 10.7.5 have kept it viable).

Im very new into the measurement game. I have a Behringer UCA202 and a UMIK from miniDSP. Since I only have the problem with a 48kHz in put device, do I need to load all of the software discussed in the blog post? If I load the software discussed, do I leave REW input set to 44.1kHz?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Hi,

I can only offer limited help because my main use of REW is on a PC ( & I don't own a UMIK-1 or any USB type mic ) .

That said ;

There's no real need to use the UCA202 just for output . You can use the heaphone output ( with adapters ) from your MacBook to drive signal over to your AVR .

The very real problem with using your UCA202 for output , is that the Behringer typically utilizes/monopolizes the Macs ( or a PCs ) generic USB driver ( the one built into the system OS ) . The problem is the UMIK-1 will also want & need to use that same driver / creating a conflict.

Only one device can "claim/initialize" ( & then use ) the builtin generic driver . I suggest leaving it available for use by the UMIK ( by not using the UCA202 ) .

That "generic" USB driver looks like this :

I would unplug the UCA202 , bootup REW with the UMIK-1 plugged in ( while making sure that it's selected within REW's preferences window ) , & then open REW's Levels window & then tap the mic to see if there's any input ( all the while with the preferences set to 48K ) .

If there's input, I'd proceed to try to make a measurement .

If you can't get input ( under the circumstances I just described ) then there's a good chance you need to use the mentioned work arounds ( which is really meant for users of multiple input soundcards, be they either USB or FireWire / " multiple input = more than 2 " ) .

:sn:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many Thanks for this Tutorial.

It works fine with OS 10.6.8 and Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.
In Saffire MixControl I routed the DAW 1-2 Out direct to the Monitor Out. I unchecked the HW-Control-Button and adjusted the Output Level.
I saved this as a Preset, so i have only to load this Preset before measuring.

Yesterday I tried to use JackOSX - didn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear John M,

unfortunately John Reekies' workaround does not work in our case which is:
MBPro OS X 10.8.2
Focusrite Saffire 40 PRO, 44.1kHz
Jave updated to latest version
REW 5.0, 44.1kHz
Since we could not get FireWire to work for the input (output worked fine), we configured only the output via FireWire (then to Sub, Crossover, Speaker, Room, Mic) and came back from the Saffire via its Analog Out to the MBPro LineIn, which seemed to work in the beginning.
I started with 2 sweeps per measurement and got caught by a 30dB dip around 11k in the FR.
To analyse, we spared out the Speakers and the Mic, connected the two cables directly to each other ('wired loop') and found in a mostly flat response the mentioned dip.
kal gr schleife 2 sweeps.jpg
After quite a while and mostly by chance I found that reducing the sweeps to 1 per measurement gives me a flat result. See the 1sweep vs. 2 sweeps in the next image
2 sweeps vs 1 sweep.jpg
Diggin deeper I wondered, what happened, if I'd increase #of sweeps, and here's what I got for 4 sweeps
kal gr schleife 4 sweeps.jpg
and here for 8 sweeps.
kal gr schleife 8 sweeps.jpg
I only guessed, that, since these results are very reproduceable, it's got nothin to do with WiFi or Laptop CPU overload or sg. - nevertheless I checked, turned everything off, dips are still there.

Then I came across the above mentioned input workaround. We did it according to the descriptions, but what we got was, instead of getting better, that signal generation, output and input "reacting" extremely delayed. With the meters on the screen, after hitting check levels, or measure, or calibrate we could wait and then see with more than a sec delay the REW pre OUT meter showing the signal, then, approx another sec later the focusrite input meter, and then, slowly rising, the REW pref In meter - showing the signals.
We got error messages, that the IR is not at the expected position, so we tried a loopback as a t0 reference, which gave us a flat result till 3kHz, but then jumped down into noise (sorry - no pic from that).
After restarts, of Saffire, MBPro, REW etc and no improvment, we were forced to go back to our initial solution and uninstall the input workaround (Soundflower).

So we are still stuck with the limitation to only being able to do 1 sweep, which I'd like to overcome, to improve S/N, apart from increasing the sweep length, since it is a bit noisy around where we have to measure...
To me, it looks like an issue related to either windowing or aliasing or similar, but I did not manage to put my finger on it...
Any ideas regarding our dip-pattern, John M maybe?
Many thanks for your thoughts on that!
Markus

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dips with multiple sweeps are caused by loss of synchronisation between the individual sweeps. The sweeps are generated as one continuous signal, but there seem to be some audio setup combinations that result in either gaps or missing data, possibly related to sample rate changes along the chain. When that happens there is a sharp null at a frequency corresponding to the time slip and the impulse response shows a separate peak for each sweep, separated by the amount of the time slip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I suspected our FireWire & LineIn combination as well to contribute to this, but I cant get it to work with the FireWire only, or the LineIn workaround, respectively. I can not think of any SR changes along the process, when REW and Focusrite are on 44.1k... could you? REW 5.01 Beta 17 would not help in this case? Markus

1 - 20 of 171 Posts