Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
( Currently ), there is not a single report of a user, successfully running this software ( REW ) on a Mac using Mavericks as the OS, ( there are many, many negative reports ) .

:sn:
Thanks Earl though that doesn't sound good at all. Any hope for a solution?

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I suspect it would work on Mavericks using the onboard sound at 44.1k, but I'll buy a new Mac mini in a few weeks and see how I get on with making REW run on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I suspect it would work on Mavericks using the onboard sound at 44.1k, but I'll buy a new Mac mini in a few weeks and see how I get on with making REW run on it.
John,

This sounds great. Just to be clear, would this likely enable me to use the UMIK-1? (For international people like myself, the UMIK-1 is the only mic Cross Spectrum Labs sells.)

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
would this likely enable me to use the UMIK-1?
Don't know yet, the UMIK runs at 48k and Apple's JavaSound implementation has issues when not running at 44.1k. Might have improved with Java 7 from Oracle, but I won't know until I get the mini and do some testing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
REW works fine with the Mac I/O and Mavericks.
I have not been able to get any of the workarounds to work, although it seems certain that they used to work on Mountain Lion etc.
DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
REW works fine with the Mac I/O and Mavericks.
I have not been able to get any of the workarounds to work, although it seems certain that they used to work on Mountain Lion etc.
DD
By Mac I/O I take it you are referring to the mic in and headphone ports? (My iMac doesn't have a mic in port. I was hoping to use REW via HDMI (using a Thunderbolt to HDMI convertor)).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am referring to any of the Mac I/O ports or devices. I often take sweeps on my iMac using the onboard Mic and Speakers, when checking the software or to generate examples of measurement behaviour.
The iMac probably has a Line In, some include a Digital Optical option.
I haven't tried the HDMI workaround but I cannot see how it would work. The issue here is that the Mac Javasound will not work at 48Khz. The workarounds may well have worked on previous OSX but Mavericks has put a stop to all of that. I have tried Java 7, no improvement.

DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
DanDan,

Thanks. It looks like I would require a USB audio interface as my late 2013 iMac doesn't have a Line In or a Digital Optical connection.

I suppose I'll wait and see if John is able to get things going.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is unfortunate. A 2 channel USB interface will hopefully work. Be careful to buy an interface which is sure to work. Ideally borrow one to try.
I don't know where you are, but this German company sells calibrated mics of a high standard, for a decent price. http://www.acoustics.isemcon.com
DD

·
Registered
4 Posts
DanDan,

Thanks. It looks like I would require a USB audio interface as my late 2013 iMac doesn't have a Line In or a Digital Optical connection.
The headphone jack also has a digital optical line-out in it, or at least that is how almost every Apple computer thats been made for a number of years has worked (including Airport Express audio out). Line in is missing though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Xipper,

Thanks for the clarification though, as you noted, Line In is still missing. Hopefully connecting via HDMI will become possible. I think the simplicity of connecting via HDMI was one of reasons I was drawn to try REW. Anyway, hopefully things work out - I can't wait to get REW running so I can start optimizing my room setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't know yet, the UMIK runs at 48k and Apple's JavaSound implementation has issues when not running at 44.1k. Might have improved with Java 7 from Oracle, but I won't know until I get the mini and do some testing.
Hi John,

Have you had a chance to look into this?

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Yes, I'm working on it at the moment using JRE8u5 on 10.9.3. Looking good so far, there is now a full JavaSound implementation in the JRE and it is performing well, should have a new build in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone

I just tried the latest beta version (RoomEQ_Wizard_obf.jar) with a MOTU Ultralite MK1 (firewire) and the soundcard calibration worked perfectly.

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Hi Everyone

I just tried the latest beta version (RoomEQ_Wizard_obf.jar) with a MOTU Ultralite MK1 (firewire) and the soundcard calibration worked perfectly.

Alan
Nice ! :T That's great news !

What version of the Mac OS are you running ?

:sn:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have 10.9.3 and, after some initial difficulties (nothing to do with REW, but with the card settings), I got my Edirol UA-3FX USB sound card to calibrate properly with REW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi John and company
I am just getting ready to purchase a Minidsp Umik and was wondering if there has been any success in getting this hardware to play nice with REW in OSX land ... running 10.9.4 on a Mac-mini.
Just built some Open Baffles and would like to take some measurements and get this room right.

Thanks ... Dave

101 - 120 of 171 Posts