Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have so far been unsuccessful using Soundflower to select i individual channels. That option is greyed out for me.

Did you have to do something to enable it?
Hi, sorry, but I can't see what you're seeing. Screenshots might help. Basically, set REW to output to Soundflower 64ch and set Soundflower 64ch to direct audio to a specific channel of the HDMI device.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, sorry, but I can't see what you're seeing. Screenshots might help. Basically, set REW to output to Soundflower 64ch and set Soundflower 64ch to direct audio to a specific channel of the HDMI device.

I understand. Its like I'm dancing to describe architecture!

Are you choosing it on this screen?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm noticing what looks like a minor bug: if I save a measurement and then try to save it a second time, the "Save as" input box now lists the entire path rather than just the suggested filename by default. If I hit return, ie use the full path suggestion, then I get an error telling me that I am using illegal characters. I can get it work by manually removing the full path and just using the filename.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only a few days into learning REW but do I need to make any changes or additions if I'm getting sound through a UCA202 (10.9.5)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The basic routing solution seems to be working fine for me with Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) using LineIn and Soundflower applications with UMIK-1. (Thank you John/HifiZine!)

Not tried any proper measurements with REW as yet.

One observation is that I am hearing repeating clicks in generated sweeps / tones.
This does not sound right, sounded a bit like sync slippage clicks.
Is this normal / anything to worry about?

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi

i must admit, i feel stupid, having to post here and report that i can't get REW to work after having made literally hundred+ measurements in the past...

i used different hardware that worked using John Reekie's workaround but now, no luck with any of them...

mac OS 10.6.8
interface: fireface800 (or motu traveler MK3 / M-audio transit)
REW 5 beta 20
line in 2.1.1

main problem:
i don't get input into REW from the mic/interface (left & right channel checked)

- i hear REW's output on my speakers
- (i still hear the mic-input on my speakers, will adress that later)
- can't get any input into REW

i see the mic input on the interface LED
i see the mic input on the fireface software mixer
i see the mic input in lineIn when clicking 'pass thru'

lineIn
IN from fireface, channel 1 used
OUT soundflower 2ch

system preferences
OUT fireface
IN soundflower 2cha

REW
default device for IN & OUT selected

help is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
You may not need to use any workaround any more. I would try a more recent Beta. In the more recent versions JohnPM has built a version of Java into REW.
Don' t know if it solves all Mac issues, but it certainly does fix the UMIK 1 and presumably other 48K problems.
DD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Truly stumped this afternoon. I have used REW many times for many different purposes, but today I can’t get the mic signal to register. I’ve isolated and tested every component in the chain—the mic and preamp work fine into the MacBook mini jack. The Behringer USB card works fine for calibration. Either channel can be looped as a ref. input. When I hook it all up I get no mic signal. No idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
same here, can't get it going after hundreds of measurements.
tried 3 different interfaces, with and without workaround...
very frustrating. what are my options??

·
Registered
29 Posts
We would need to do a detailed trouble shoot to find the individual reasons.
But I suggest get rid of the obvious first.
The workaround should not be necessary if you download the latest Beta version of REW.
Simplify the setup. No Calibration of any kind. No Loopback Correction.
At base, this is playback and recording. Achieve credible playback and credible input from the mic in the computer using simpler audio software. Then fire up REW and it should just work.

DD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone. I need some help.

I hooked up my umik-1 and HDMI to macbook pro late 2013 and a HK 5.1 receiver per the following instructions:

minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-hdmi-on-mac

Everything went well, but every time I press measure I get the same curve, regardless of the HDMI number in Channel 1. I did set the Channel 2 to none.

It also resets to sub only (0-200Hz) when I press measure. I set the Generator to Pink Noise Speaker cal before pressing Measure, but it just reverts to Sub Cal.

When I press the green test button on Speaker Cal in the Generator (Pink Noise) it outputs to the correct Left front channel, but when I press the Measurement button it sounds like it only outputs to the sub. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nick, did you check the following:

1. EQ and bass management on your receiver and make sure they are disabled?

2. Went to Midi setup on your Mac and make sure the output set to Soundflower 62Ch

3. On your AVR, when measuring individual speaker, make sure they are set to large. Otherwise when you measure bass mgmt will kick in the sub

4. Remember to copy the first line of your UMIK-1 cal from minidsp and paste it to the cal file you havgot from CSL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks ntran! I will try all of the above, but I don't understand item 4. Is there some other thread where I can read about this? I just followed the mini-DSP instructions for downloading the calibration files and pointing to them in REW...

Oh, and I bought the UMIK-1 directly from miniDSP

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you order your mic from minidsp then you can ignore #4 above. It's for the UMIK-1 individually calibrated by Spectrum Labs. It is recommended for REW. Or you can send your mic to them for calibration for a fee of about $50.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have successfully used REW 5.11 on my Macbook Pro Retina (10.10.3) using HDMI, Soundflower, and a Cross-Spectrum calibrated UMIK-1 to measure my main sound system.

Emboldened by this experience, I installed REW on my home office Mac Mini (10.10.3) to likewise measure my Prodipe speaker setup. However, here I am stumped – I cannot get REW to emit any sound.

I have connected the Mac Mini using an optical cable to an Emotiva XDA-2, which drives the Prodipes. I have set Digital Out as the output in System Preferences - Sound, and verified that it works as expected using other programs. Yet, regardless of which output device I select in Output Device and Output, no sound is generated when I try to Check Levels, and if I try to make a measurement, I am told “Signal Generator audio output not available”, which is unsurprising, I suppose. I have tried both 48 and 44.1 kHz output.

I have repeated the above after having installed SoundFlower on this machine with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

141 - 160 of 171 Posts