Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I fired up my old Technics SL-BD20 to listen to MLK's I have a Dream Speech on Monday. Afterward I plopped on Fleetwood Mac to have a listen to that. I noticed having to turn my AVR up to about -10dB to get any decent sound out of my M60s. My Onkyo has a phono stage built into it as I have my TT plugged into the inputs marked Phono. But is it any good? Is it my turntable?

I'm kinda confused as to where to start my journey with vinyl and getting reacquainted with this format. I'm not sure where to start and how to enjoy decent sound.

MP

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
What cartridge are you using? It has been years, but as I recall if it is a moving coil cartridge the output is normally low, and you would use a phono preamp that is for a moving coil cartridge (unless you have a high output one).

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It is normal actually. Digital formats tend to be recorded much louder than vinyl. I assume you use a MM [moving magnet] cartridge. You could try a cart with higher output. As long as you can turn your gain/volume up to a good listening volume you are fine but it will never be as loud as say your CD player.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I found a copy of the original manual online and it stated it used a MM cartridge. I'll double check when I get home this evening though to make sure an aftermarket MC cartridge hasn't been installed instead.

It definitely isn't as loud as CD. I'll have to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Recently I fired up my old Technics SL-BD20 to listen to MLK's I have a Dream Speech on Monday. Afterward I plopped on Fleetwood Mac to have a listen to that. I noticed having to turn my AVR up to about -10dB to get any decent sound out of my M60s. My Onkyo has a phono stage built into it as I have my TT plugged into the inputs marked Phono. But is it any good? Is it my turntable?

I'm kinda confused as to where to start my journey with vinyl and getting reacquainted with this format. I'm not sure where to start and how to enjoy decent sound.

MP
Does your AVR have an input labelled "phono" and are you using this input?

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
It seems like the vinyl experience is largely linked to quality of equipment. I've heard vinyl sound absolutely incredible...and absolutely dreadful. Set-up is also hugely important.

Once you get it dialed in, though, vinyl has a great sound.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to give a quick update on my situation:

I ended up bypassing the phono stage in the Onkro AVR with an Emotiva XPS-1
Phono Pre-Amp. And the difference was incredible! The test LPs I used sounded
great and music really opened up. The best way I can describe the difference
in sound was like going from AM radio to CD.

My guess is that with everything crammed into modern AVRs today, the phono
stage was not as good as the XPS-1 pre-amp. In addition, I built a separate
turntable shelf/cart specifically for my turntable and LPs. I was able to shorten
the length of the RCAs to the new preamp from 2m ti 1m. Probably a negligible
impact, but wanted to list it anyway.

Hopefully this helps someone else. Currently saving my pennies for Project
Carbon ES TT to replace this old Technics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts