Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Getting IR Emitters to Stick

Tags
emitters
20K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  handyjr 
#1 ·
What is the best way you have found to get IR emitters to stick into place? I have tried both Xantech and now Smarthome brands - the adhesive pads on the Smarthome ones hold a little better than the double sticky tape on the Xantechs. But either one will come off easily.

The biggest problem is getting them to stick on the DirecTV HR20 series DVRs. The IR window is slightly curved so there is not full contact with the adhesive.

I have resorted to black electrical tape and also white foam adhesive tape across the wires to the emitters, but that looks bad.

Other than Crazy Glue, what has worked for you? Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi.
A good trick I've found are glue sticks for a hot glue gun and a lighter. Just heat the end of the stick and use the appropriate amount around the edge of the emitter, stick it and move on. The nice thing about this is it doesn't leave a residue like tape does, and it pops off with a set of pliers or your fingers. Whatever glue residue remains breaks right off. No goop to clean off and it doesn't harm the surface of the equipment. It's not very easy to accidentally pop them off either once they are glued. You could use the glue gun if you like, but it's a hassle carrying it and plugging it in. Have you ever tried to find a place to put a hot glue gun in a very tight space? Not fun! The glue also comes in black if that is more visually pleasing.

Rock on and I'm out :yay2:

TBush

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.