Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here. I have done a lot of reading and learned a lot.

I am starting to put together a home theater audio system to go with a Samsung 52” LCD TV and Blu Ray player. I have front speakers from a 2-channel audio system that I am going to use and I just picked up a center speaker to go with them. The main front speakers are Linn Ninkas and the center speaker is a Linn Trikan. The next thing I plan to get is a home theater A/V receiver. Is it possible to begin using the A/V receiver with just these three speaker outputs, 3 channel, and then add the rears and subwoofer later to make it 5.1? Do most receivers have the option of configuring for 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1 if it is a 7.1 receiver? I would like to stay under $1000 for the receiver but this isn’t set in stone. These speakers are rated at 4 ohms but I have read that they don’t dip below 4 ohms. I have never had a problem driving the Ninkas with other amplifiers and they are reasonably efficient. I will probably be going with a pair of subwoofers as I want to keep the size reasonable. I haven’t started looking for subs or rear speakers yet. The room is 18’ X 26’ X 8’. The equipment is along one of the 18’ walls. This is my first adventure into home theater and it has been many years since I have seriously looked at audio equipment. Any recommendations where to begin?

Greg

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HomeTheaterShack. Greg, there is no issue with only running 3 Speakers. Actually, you will have more available power going to those 3 speakers than if running 5 or 7 channels.

You have some very nice Speakers and you will have a wide choice of AV Receivers for under 1000 Dollars. With your speakers being 4 ohm rated, I would pay attention to power supply. Going with a THX Ultra2 Certified AVR would be a safe choice as they have been throughly tested and can drive a minimum 3.2 ohm load at Reference Level.

A very powerful and popular choice is the Onkyo TX-SR876 which is available for under 1000 Dollars as it has recently been discontinued. The 876 features outstanding video processing and a hefty amplifier section. The current Onkyo's TX-NR1007/3007/5007 would all do quite well too.

Another choice would be Pioneer SC-27 or SC-07. The SC-07 has recently been discontinued and Best Buy has been blowing them out. They are available in the Magnolia part of the Store. The SC-27 is the current model and is a good bit over 1000 Dollars.
I only recommended THX Ultra2 Certified Models as 4 ohm Speakers can be too much for some AVR's.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
With only three speakers, the 876 or the Pioneer receivers that Jack suggested are likely good choices. When you do get an additional set of speakers for the rears I would be cautious and look into getting external amplification for the front three to be on the safe side. They are "supposed to" be able to handle 4 Ohms all channels drive, but not always is that the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I will probably go with some 8ohm speakers for the rears if mixing impedance isn't an issue, *ohm seems to be more available. I assume you can set any of the popular AV receivers for 2, 3, 5 channel as needed and for use with or without a subwoofer. Also is it possible to bypass using the receiver and watch TV directly from the DVR both which will be connected to the receiver? The Onkyo recommended looks like a nice receiver. I have driven the Ninkas with a number of different amps without any issues. I have a lot of research to do. Thanks for the help.

Greg

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I would honestly try to Linn's for your Surrounds. While not nearly as important as having your front stage match, it is a good thing to use identical tweeters for all channels,

I really think the TX-SR876 would get the job done. Here are measurements for the TX-SR875:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2463/test-bench-onkyo-tx-sr875-av-receiver.html
As you see, it really is a powerhouse and puts out a great deal of stable power in 4 ohms.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
I would honestly try to Linn's for your Surrounds. While not nearly as important as having your front stage match, it is a good thing to use identical tweeters for all channels,

I really think the TX-SR876 would get the job done. Here are measurements for the TX-SR875:
As you see, it really is a powerhouse and puts out a great deal of stable power in 4 ohms.
Cheers,
JJ
I have been thinking the same. Been looking for a pair of used Kan or Tukan speakers for the rears. The are supposed to work well near a wall or corner which is where I plan to use them. I'm thinking that the 4ohm issue shouldn't be a problem with any good receiver with ample power.

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar speaker set up - Ninka's and Trikan + a Sizmik 10.25 as the sub. My surround speakers are my old Kan's and they work really well.

The Ninka's and Trikan are active with two Linn C5100's driving them.

The pre amp is an Ada Suite 7.1HD and the sound is very impressive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts