Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Actually, there are a couple of new things but it will be a while. We're still working on them. As for hanging Tri Traps, I got an idea from a customer for something that I think will work quite well. I still need to talk with Glenn about it and see what we can do.

Bryan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good news. Let me know details on the tri trap hanging when you can. Just ordered two more 244's from Glenn today. 7 new panels this month:bigsmile:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The panels will be shipping January 1st. The Pillars should be soon after. Glenn and I are discussing running special pricing prior to the 1st as kind of a preorder. Will keep you posted.
Bryan,

Please keep us informed of the pre-order special for the pillars. My wife really likes them and I'm ready to order four of them in GOM black with cherry stain (to match my speakers) just to keep her happy. :bigsmile:

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Lemme talk to Glenn. I'm hearing they should be available in the next 2 weeks.

Any other interest in preorders? I might be able to twist his arm better if there was enough interest for a mini group by type of deal.

Bryan

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
OK. Here's the deal. The Pillars will likely retail at $299 each with GOM cloth standard and your choice of stain color.

As a preorder/introductory price, we'll be selling them at $275 each.

You can call the 800 number to do the preorder as it's not on our site yet. Mention that you're from Home Theater Shack.

Thanks for all of your support.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I assume the pillars are not Helmholtz resonaters? More info on the web page on measurements and pictures that show how they really look with different frames and fabric would be nice.

Also another question: Is there a reason to hang the Tri-Traps? I would assume they work better as basstraps placed on the floor?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
The Pillars are not Helmholz. They are broadband like the Tri Traps. We haven't sent the Pillars to the lab yet - we've just been slammed over the holidays and then with the new product introductions.

I think Glenn is going to have some more photos taken of some of the other color combinations though not sure if they'll be of pillars or 242 Elites.

The Tri Traps are not designed to be hung - but some people have done it with brackets. They were designed to be set on the floor and/or stacked on each other.

Bryan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea the plan is to take some more pictures as soon as we get few more of the piano finish for the elites and the stands. Big problem is we are getting a ton of orders with the piano black so keeping one around is a straggle in itself. Guess a good problem to have. :wits-end::sweat::jiggy:

Glenn

·
Registered
65 Posts
These pillars look really nice.
Are the pillars absorption equal to the Tri-Traps?
In other words, would I have balanced absorption if I put a pillar in a front corner and tri-trap in the other front corner? Or would your recommend both being the same?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Symmetry in the front is always important. We've not tested the Pillars yet officially but in theory, they should actually outperform the Tri Traps in the deep bass.

Bryan

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Just another teaser....

The prototype for our new diffusor. Solid maple and stainable to match the Pillar and the 242 Elite

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
That's what Glenn hires ME for :bigsmile:

In many rooms, it's usually a combination of both. It all depends on the room, the layout, the size of the room, the usage, etc. If you have something specific you're considering, I'd be happy to take a look. You can either PM me, or start a thread and we can do it in the forum for all to learn from.

Bryan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very nice! Is there any chance that these can be offered in the raw for those folks who would like to do their own finishing?

·
Registered
275 Posts
In that example, I mounted it up because the corner below it, which you can't see in that picture, is dominated by a cold air return that the Tri-Trap would have covered up, and the TV sits in that corner. So, mounting the Tr-Trap up gave me as much corner coverage as possible there. Also, elsewhere in that thread you'll see where I mounted another Tri-Trap up over a counter in a corner.

There is a third Tri-Trap in a rear corner that is actually on the ground. :bigsmile:

... Just trying to get as much corner coverage as possible in the room based on the layout of the speakers/components.

Tim
:drive:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Tim.
I am about to order two Tri-Traps and two 244 bass traps to address some of the overpowering bass response and to improve the overall sound quality in my HT room. I am going to put the Tri-traps in the front corner behind the front speakers. As for the 244 bass traps, I am not sure if I should put them on the floor behind my equipment rack and which is below the front projection screen or if I should hang them on the back wall. If I hang them on the back wall, then I have to move my surround back dipole speakers from their current position 60" off from the floor to 72" off the floor. Even then I can only get the 244s 24" from the floor and in this case the couch would cover part of the 244s. If I could put the 244 on the floor and behind the couch, then I can add two more 244s without having any issue with my other half. I am just not sure if the performance would be hindered if I place them on the floor. So which route should I go? Two Tri-traps in the front corner and 244s on the front, on the floor behind the equipment rack and two more 244s against the back wall, again on the floor OR two tri-traps in the front corner and two 244s on the back wall 24" from the floor? Which would yield a better coverage/performance? Thanks.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts