Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://[URL=http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/JOHN86GT/media/recrm007_zps48a32b64.jpg.html][/URL]

http://[URL=http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/JOHN86GT/media/recrm001_zps2621e6a7.jpg.html][/URL]

Looking for idea's to improve rec rm.

Room is 17' 10" x 34 '
Height 7' 9"
Listening position 11' ( from front wall )

Front wall width to door 14' 5 "

Front speakers 9' from LP and 9' apart

It is a very live room ...

I could fit a panel horizontal under the left window but not vertical . (maybe another in front of window if I were to put a shade up )

I may paint the front wall dark brown (coffee ) to match current 244's .

Thanks

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Hi John

Sorry - not understanding the room. You said 14' wide to the door? So it's on the front wall in the corner essentially?

What is the rest of the room like? Can it sit at the other end to avoid the door?

Maybe a sketch and/or some pictures would help.

Bryan

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
You can email them to me directly or shoot me a link on an upload service.

Bryan

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Got it. Looks like the only places we can really effectively do more would be a couple horizontal panels on the side wall as you mentioned and maybe a bit more on the front wall to help further with surround reflections. I'm quite sure the room could use more bass control but corners are kind of already taken up

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I put 3 224's on the ceiling and 2 224's on the side walls would that be a big improvement ?

On bass traps , how effective are the soffit traps when not all the way in a corner ? One behind each front speaker ?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Anything will help tame the decay times. I think the side walls are most important and available right now. 244's would be great. 242's at the ceiling reflections, absolutely.

Soffits, they'll still help but can't be as effective as they are in the corners. Remember though that they or the Tri Traps can be laid horizontally along the wall/floor junction also.

Bryan

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anything will help tame the decay times. I think the side walls are most important and available right now. 244's would be great. 242's at the ceiling reflections, absolutely.

Soffits, they'll still help but can't be as effective as they are in the corners. Remember though that they or the Tri Traps can be laid horizontally along the wall/floor junction also.

Bryan
I received the white samples you sent , thanks !

I'm going to order 3 242's for the ceiling and because of ceiling height will want mount them close to ceiling.

Do you have a link to show best method ?

I will order 3 244's and put two on the right wall and one on the left . I bought 703 ? years ago from

sensiblesoundsolutions.com and will make a DIY panel to fit inside the left window.

I will add more bass traps to front wall and tackle the back of the room later.

Thanks for the info !!

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Best way to hang tight from the ceiling is to just use 4 hooks in the ceiling directly to the eyes in the rear of the panel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How is the sound in the back of the room? Or does it not matter too much with no one back there when playing stuff. It looked pretty lively and thought that might use some wooden diffusors or such.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
What would happen in the rear would depend on if there are any cancellations coming off that wall in the low end. If so, then thicker absorption would be ideal. If not, then you can maybe use diffusion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
How is the sound in the back of the room? Or does it not matter too much with no one back there when playing stuff. It looked pretty lively and thought that might use some wooden diffusors or such.
Right now the whole room is a "mess"

I ordered 3 242's for the ceiling over seating area .

When I figure out the color , I will be ordering 244's for side walls at first reflection points .

I'm starting at the front at working my way back :bigsmile:

Because my sub (JTR orbit shifter ) is in the front left , there is a ton of "boom" behind the bar .

·
Registered
59 Posts
I figured bass might congregate there. I have seen full circle type bass traps that don't even really look like them you could throw in the corner that might look nice and grab some of that buildup.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered a "few " samples of the GOM Anchorage fabric. That stuff is really nice !

What is the upcharge per panel to use the anchorage fabric ?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
It varies from $15-$30 per unit pending which product it is. Plus there is a one time $20 charge since it's not something we stock. Shipping and per yard pricing to us is not as good when not buying a full bolt.

Just understand it is not suitable for putting in front of a speaker. You'd want to go to the FR701 series for that purpose.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts