Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Sorry. I meant literally in front of it - like for a false wall, grilles in columns with speakers behind, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]]

UPDATE

2 244's under window and two 244's on right.
3 242's "in a cloud"

Things sound a LOT better !

The new panels seem to be built better than the 4 older 244's on front wall and front sides . I don't like hanging them with picture wire , they distort from the weight of the panel.

Is there a better way to hang them or should I try and place metal strapping behind them to stiffen them up ?

The "cloud " is 1 3/4 " from the ceiling . I'm going to try and get it closer to an inch. Would it help to add 2" of 703 to the top ?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the 703.

The panels should not be distorting when hung. If you prefer something else, you could use Z clips.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wouldn't bother with the 703.
The panels should not be distorting when hung. If you prefer something else, you could use Z clips.
Why would you not bother on the 703? If I left a 1 1/2 " gap from the ceiling , wouldn't they be similar to a 244 or are 244's over kill on the ceiling?

They bow in and the fabric does not look as tight . I may try what you suggested or "d-ring " hooks .

Thanks

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
You asked, I gave my opinion. For the cost. You could add an inch I guess to fill the gap. Not sure how much it will really help to trade 1" of 703 for 3/4" less spacing. Probably about a wash.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I was actually thinking 2 inch 703 since I already own it. If I cut it a little short around the edge of the "cloud " you would not notice it . It still could have a 1 1/2 " gap (or more ) to the ceiling ?

The d- clips work great . (one on each side an inch from top)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bpape ,

Does your opinion change going to 2 inch ?

What should be my next move ? Replace 244 's behind front speakers with monster bass traps or put monster bass traps on the front corner side walls were the 244's are ? I could do both down the road .

Thanks

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
2" would be a definite benefit.

Not sure going from 244 to Monster behind the speakers will give you any gains in frequency response though it would add additional LF decay time control down to around 70hz.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)

Revisiting an old thread :)

Painted the front wall to match brown 244's .

Will be painting side walls to match side 244's .

The room sounds pretty good but ...

Would it be a big improvement if I doubled the size of the "acoustic cloud " ? ( It has 3 242's with added 2" of 703 . 1 3/4" gap to ceiling. )

The 244's on front wall are double stacked , does that do anything to help lower bass trapping ? (can't stack 2 high due to ceiling height)

should I add two more 244's on side walls between the other two , spreading them out a little.

So far the acoustic cloud has made the most improvement !

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Sorry - been absolutely swamped.

Would it be a big improvement if I doubled the size of the "acoustic cloud " ? ( It has 3 242's with added 2" of 703 . 1 3/4" gap to ceiling. )
**** As long as it is catching all reflections from the LCR to all seats, it's big enough

The 244's on front wall are double stacked , does that do anything to help lower bass trapping ? (can't stack 2 high due to ceiling height)
**** Going double thick will extend lower frequency response. BTW, we can make you custom sized ones to fit.

should I add two more 244's on side walls between the other two , spreading them out a little.
**** First, get them up off the floor a couple of feet and into the reflection zone. At this point they're not doing anything to help with early reflections.

So far the acoustic cloud has made the most improvement !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts