Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the forum guys, but i love the spot. I wish the DIY basement construction sites were like this one.

Im getting quotes on electrical from contractors, and i didnt know HOW much i needed to know in advance. SO im trying to figure out what i need so i can tell the electrician what i want. The ones ive talked to dont know anything about home audio and therefor the only thing they will do is run speaker wire. Can i get a CLEAR explination of what i need as fare as wire hook up? I like the wire and av plate covers. Its clean and neat lookin'. Also what about futuer running of wires. I was told some run PVC pipes to do this but i dont really get the consept.

Also i will have a TV before im able to get the projector and 110" screen. So i will have the TV and components up front, but when i get the Screen and projector, i will probably move all the components to the back. (i guess, still figuring this stuff out) So is it crazy to run wire to a front location AND a back locatiion just in case i want to do that move?

Sorry, but i dont have the money to hire a bonified home theater company, so i kinda need to be lead by the hand. if i find a set up i like, i would copy it all togeather. I just need to know what steps to take, what to look for and what to ask.

I will post pics of my basement layout soon.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Well, You will need a HDMI run and Power to the projector location. An you might as well run some CAT5e there as well. The HDMI needs to go from where your receiver will be located.
You will also need speaker wire pulled to all the 7 speaker locations from where the receiver will be placed.
Run 2 CAT5e runs from where your internet router is located to the receiver/BluRay player location as well.
You will need a decent quality RCA cable run from where the receiver is placed to where your sub will be and keep a second run available at the back of the room for a second sub if needed.
If you plan on having a cable or satt connection you will need that run to where the HDPVR or satt receiver will be located as well.

If you want running conduit (aluminum pipe) or plastic pipe will help with pulling any additional wire after the fact and does not cost much if the walls are still open. keep the bends in the pipe as few and as gradual as possible.

Dont forget two dedicated 15 amp circuits should be run to the equipment location as well.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I second everything Tony said. I always add an extra Cat5 in every conduit (if there's room). For low voltage stuff, like IR signals, you can twist a few together and use it for that. If you needed another hdmi or whatever the new "ultrawire" :) is, then you can use that extra Cat5 as a pull to get the new wire in.

If you do use conduit, make sure it is as wide as you can get. There is nothing worse than trying to pull that last wire through too narrow a pipe.

Absolute worst case, if you can't afford to run the pipe, consider a couple of decorative access hatches that have a clean line to the projector (though the joist bay) and a wall plate. They don't look as nice, but they will make pulling things in the future much easier.

Future-proofing the theaters is indeed a challenge! Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts