Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really glad that I have found the Home Theater Shack. Over the past few years, I have been lurking at several other AV and DIY sites, but have been dissapointed by some of the bickering found there. I found the Home Theater Shack just a few days ago by googling a reference to "Black Widow" from a post in another forum. Since then, I have been amazed and a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information found here. I have been a DIY-er for my whole life. I remember working with my dad when I was 5 years old helping him on the job remodeling homes, then once older building homes together in the mountains of northern California. Since then I have almost always been tinkering.

Several years ago, I learned how to build my own astronomical telescope and this turned into a small business. Unfortunately, that small business exploded and took over our lives, resulting in a choice of Business or Family - I chose Family and shut down the business. The other downfall was that this burned us out of DIY for several years. But now it is time to get the tools out and start tinkering again.

In our new home, we have a bonus room over the garage which we are in the process of finishing off. This room will end up being a multi-purpose Family room which I plan on building a home theater in. The requirements are unique, and I plan on starting a thread for this once I figure out the best place to do so. I just have not been here long enough to sift through all the areas to know what goes where yet.

Thank you very much guys for creating such a wonderfully informative forum. - Zeiggie

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Hello and welcome to the Shack!

Looking forward to seeing you around often... :T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello John, Welcome aboard the Shack!

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are welcome. I am really looking forward to building our home theater – and – Movie nights. Besides, it is about time I pull all that equipment out of storage and put it to good use... even though I will need to make a few additional purchases or DIY to update the surround system, but that may be challenging as my main speakers are Klipsch LaScalla's. – Zeiggie.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome JohnZ. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps I should clarify my last statement - The Klipsch LaScalla's are awesome speakers. I have tried many different types and brands of speakers over the past 15-20 years and have rarely found speakers that matched the sound quality of the LaScalla's. I'll admit that I have owned these for nearly 20 years, and that they have been in storage for 5. But I am rather attached to them and love the way they sound - They are just so big that the WAF resulted in them not being a part of the family or living rooms. Now that we are remodeling the bonus room above the garage, I am building the speakers into the walls so their bulk is hidden. My next challenge is to come up with surround speakers (on a budget) that do not detract from the sound and efficiency (105 dB 1W / 1M) of the Klipsch. I will be studying up on the DIY speaker threads. - Zeiggie

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Now that we are remodeling the bonus room above the garage, I am building the speakers into the walls so their bulk is hidden.
Be careful with that plan as that will most likely affect how they sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will not be doing anything to the speakers themselves. What I have available to work with is a section of the room, centered by a gas fireplace, flanked with built in cabinets. The bottom of the cabinets I am sizing to allow me to slide the LaScallas into the cabinet. The top of the cabinets will be glass display shelves for my wife to display nick nacks. My options for the speakers are to either hide the bulk of the speakers, or keep them in storage. I figure that even though I may lose some bass response this way, they will still sound way better than in storage. (I also have to put all of the surround speakers in the walls or ceiling.)

The biggest challenge I had previously (other than the neighbors banging on the wall) was getting surround speakers I could actually hear over the LaScallas. Now that we are no longer in a town home, I am looking forward to cranking them up again.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum ...:wave:

Good luck with your project, regarding your speakers....if you want to hide them, maybe you can build some columns covered with speaker cloth and place the speakers inside :yes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah - Once I showed the projector to my wife, she liked it so much that I can now build a dedicated home theater in our basement. Woo Hoo. I do not have to hide the Klipsch LaScalla speakers any more. Z

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, JohnZ!

Hide LaScalas? How exactly did you do that? :rofl:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the Shack, JohnZ!

Hide LaScalas? How exactly did you do that? :rofl:
To hide the LaScalas ... Center stage - Gas Fireplace. On the sides of the Gas Fireplace I framed in for built in cabinets. The lower cabinets were built just large enough so the LaScalla's could slide into them. The door of the cabinet would have acoustic cloth instead of a wood panel. The top of the cabinet was to be a display cabinet with glass shelves and lights. - This was all in theory as we are still finishing off the bonus room above our garage, but bought the projector so we can do outdoor movies for an upcoming family reunion. Now I will build the cabinets as standard cabinets since the LaScalla's will be in the basement home theater. Woo Hoo. - Z

1 - 15 of 15 Posts