Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
that looks awesome! I'm just getting started on finishing my basement and I'm thinking about 4 IB 15's or 4 IB 18's to do in a dual manifold config just inside or outside my mains.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you can afford it go for the 18's. You might be satisfied with 15's, but then you will always question yourself "what would 18's have felt like?!"
I wish I could have used 4 instead of 2, but my attic trusses prevented 2 sides of the box from being used. I am now thinking of installing 1 more 18 into the top of the box (facing downward), so my box would have 3 18's.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance. Crazy that this is such an old thread and you responded so quickly but I just sent FiCar $900 some odd dollars to make me 4 IB318's! I figure I won't apply more than 10 Watts a piece to them but distortion should be low and the SPLs should be plenty high. I was going to go with two as flanking subs to the mains but when I though about the great vibration reducing quailities of going with a manifold I decided that four was a must. With the marginal markup between the 15" and the 18", the choice was simple. I hope that I don't regret my purchase (~$1k) :spend:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance. Crazy that this is such an old thread and you responded so quickly but I just sent FiCar $900 some odd dollars to make me 4 IB318's! I figure I won't apply more than 10 Watts a piece to them but distortion should be low and the SPLs should be plenty high. I was going to go with two as flanking subs to the mains but when I though about the great vibration reducing quailities of going with a manifold I decided that four was a must. With the marginal markup between the 15" and the 18", the choice was simple. I hope that I don't regret my purchase (~$1k) :spend:
You and me both - I just purchased 4 FI IB318s a few days ago. Along with MiniDSP and ep4000.

Christmas Build: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ib-infinite-baffle-subwoofer-build-projects/63366-christmas-build.html#axzz2DUPtJtKo

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just unboxed my EP4000!!! From Amazon sale $275!!!
It's late at night now, I'll have to connect it later.
Guess it's time to order that 3rd IB318 driver.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had that same message for approximately 2 days. Then got the shipped notification late on the 26th (Monday), received it 28th (Wednesday). Bigger box than I expected, so I wasn't sure it was the amp. Just weighed it, 37lbs.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Just wired up the new EP4000 amp. Too late to test it out and calibrate with Audyssey.

But I do have it powered up now and I am horribly upset about how loud the fan is. Now that I'm hearing it, I'm remembering reading comments about this and that there are mods to get it quieter.
Right now I'm sitting 18' away from it and it is not just background noise, it is full on noise. It sounds like my wife is at the other end of the house running the vacuum cleaner. My refrigerator is only 6' away which is running and the amp fan completely drowns out the fridge (and this is an old loud fridge).

If a mod can't cut this noise by more than 3/4, there is no way I can use this unit and would never recommend this unit to anyone.

I just got out my SPL meter, at 8" away (about a 45 degree angle up in front of it) it is registering 60db. And it is cool as a cucumber right now, there's no load on it. I think I read that the fan speed varies with it's cooling needs. So, will it get louder as it gets warmer???

I just thought about running the Audyssey setup. I always unplug the fridge and shut off the house AC/heating so it doesn't interfere with the readings. This amp is much louder than any of those.

OK, rant over.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Found the fan mod thread.
I just ordered the 381-2502-ND fan from DigiKey. This is the more expensive fan, $22, that is quieter, 12db.

If a much quieter fan can be used, why has Behringer been using that ridiculously loud one for so many years?

·
Registered
887 Posts
The market is pro audio where reliability matters more than fan noise. Also the fan noise is a non-issue in a live music event. I had the same issue with an industrial power supply I bought for some class D amp modules. In that case I was able to disable the fan entirely because for tv and music this power supply was not even sweating. In extreme applications, you would want that fan working overtime. For HT, no problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the new amp, are you still running at 450W? How was the sound from outside the house? were you able to hear the bass from outside, enough to be a nuisance to the neighbors? Im pretty curious about this as I'm looking to do a 2x18 build with neighbors about 10-15 ft from my house

21 - 34 of 34 Posts