Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I am from Holland, from a town called Oss. Male, 53 of age. My occupation is pharmacist in a part of Oss called Ussen. This explains the alias "Jackuss" and my approach of the profession... My hobbies are many. Most important are sailing and home theater. Sailing is partly with wife and sons in a comfortable yacht and partly regatta sailing in a Finn dinghy, which due to manyfold capsizing is called "JackOss".
Primarily I love to listen to music; which is now evolving to home theater. Amongst others my speakers are build by Terrazzo Art Fidelity in Oss (Merlin) and my amplifier is an Audio Analogue Maestro; cdplayer Marantz cd17 KI and Rega turntable etc etc. My sons are picking up the hobby as well. We just built together a pair of Vifa Basis speakers for my younger son which are about the largest speakers for DIY in Holland. Both sons just started at the technical university of Eindhoven studying technical informatics and technical physical science.
Presently I am upgrading the home theater by searching for a better beamer than my present Sharp Notevision XG-C40XE, which I bought 5 years ago for presentations. I am interested in the new JVC HD 350 D-ILA. Although the speakers are great, I am also looking for a subwoofer. I nearly bought a used Rel Studio III when a home theater expert warned me that it is an old-fashoned concept and advised to look for a Velodyne Digital Drive which can be integrated much more precise than a Rel. (Accidently the expert is the importer of Velodyne in Holland.....) Maybe in the forums I can have some advise on this. First I am now interested in improving the home theater room by dampening certain parts of the room. Therefor I am very curious to measure the room with the software advised in these forums.
Finally I am convinced that in HiFi/ High End and Home theater forums there is a lot of nonsense going on concerning interconnects and cables. As my son ironicly mentions: "Gold plated silver twined oxygen free copper, melted and forged by elves under the full moon". As a pharmacist I see a lot of placebo effects in the use of medicins. In similarity: in the music business even professionals cannot think straight anymore and accept and further spread the hypes.
Sofar my introduction.
greetings,
Jackuss

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy jackuss and welcome to the Shack!

Looking forward to seeing you around often... :T

Sonnie

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Welcome to the Shack, Jackuss.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Jackuss,

My brother's also a pharmacisit, but unfortunately he doesn't like HT as much as you do... We'll be waiting for you! :)

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You certainly have noticed some of the problems with this hobby. This acknowledgment will allow you to achieve an extremely high quality system while saving you money since you can spend primarily on items that actually effect performance!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum ...:wave:

I'm sure you'll find the info you need here, and after reading your introduction I think you're a candidate for a DIY sub :bigsmile:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts