Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about selling my EP1500 and getting a Crown XTI 1000 to replace it. I will be using it to power my subwooer, an 8.5cf RL-P15 that is tuned to 15.5hz. Do you think this is worth doing? Will I be able to tell any SQ difference between these amps at all. They both have about the same amount of power so no advantages there. Any insite any one has would be very helpful. Thanks

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I wonder if this should be in the Home Theater Components forum... :scratch:

EDIT: We've decided to keep discussion about sub amps in DIY Subwoofers... seems to fit better.

I don't see it making on iota of a difference other than in your wallet. :spend:

What is causing you to doubt the EP1500 or what is causing you to suggest the Crown might be better?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realy have no problems with the EP1500 at all. I was just curious if a more expensive amp would yield better performance. Since every one seems to agree that there wont be much difference in SQ I'll stick with My EP.

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts

Since every one seems to agree that there wont be much difference in SQ I'll stick with My EP.
Yeah, subs are pretty forgiving when it comes to the electronics powering them. I remember when SVS used to recommend a Samson amp for their cylindrical subs. Everyone I saw who tried it with their main speakers complained that it sounded “gritty.”

Also consider: Look up some specs for powered subwoofers sometimes from as many manufacturers whose websites you care to slog through. You will find that 99% of them are totally devoid of THD, S/N ratio specs that are considered critical for any amps used for the main channels.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes more expensive amp will be better but what more expensive mean to you about same watts but more expensive No doesn't worth the money you will spend unless you go for an XTI4000 or equivalent with QSC or other good amps matther of fact.Sub doesn't need the definition mid and hi will need IMO.

I realy have no problems with the EP1500 at all. I was just curious if a more expensive amp would yield better performance. Since every one seems to agree that there wont be much difference in SQ I'll stick with My EP.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
lol... kouack... are you using a translation service? I tried one of those at DVD Plaza (Finnish) once and they couldn't understand a thing I was trying to say.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry i'm a drunk franco hee hee and no i'm not using any translator.I should have read back before hit post it Lol. What i was trying to say is a more expensive amp may help but the jump would have to be from an EP1500 to an XTI4000 and not to an XTI1000 in order to notice a real difference in this case. Also The XTI1000 would have been a better upgrade if was to replace the EP1500 for mid-hi section in a bi or tri-amp system let say. Hope this time i make more sense :)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
As long as the EP1500 is keeping up with your content then I'd stick with it. I doubt you'd hear any difference in amps by switching. The only thing I'd consider would be headroom and whether you are happy with your current situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts