Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I found the site through avforums.co.uk - whilst searching about home cinema set-up. I am planning on getting a ratshack spm and using my laptop that has mic in and headphone out to optimize my system.

Cya.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
using my laptop that has mic in and headphone out to optimize my system
The Radio Shack SPL meter has a line-out jack that needs to plug into a line level line-in jack on a soundcard.

Unfortunately, a mic in jack on a laptop doesn't work properly. It has a very poor frequency response, is quite noisy and often supplies a DC voltage on the line for microphones.

Most people that use laptops purchase an inexpensive external USB soundcard for this duty. They come with a proper line-in and line-out jack.

See the REW Help files for the software (free) required to do frequency response checks.

brucek

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks - I just read a few posts on the forum and came up with as much.. shame. I will get the soundcard. Could you just confirm that it will help me get my home cinema optimized? I do not have a BFD (don't even know what one is :( )

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Could you just confirm that it will help me get my home cinema optimized? I do not have a BFD (don't even know what one is )
One of the main purposes of the REW software is to set up the filters in a BFD. The BFD is a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and is used as a parametric equalizer in line with a subwoofer to adjust its frequency response. Subwoofers tend to have very poor response (in a home setting) with large peaks that hurt the overall sound of your HT. The BFD simply tailors the subwoofers output with the use of parametric filters. There is a guide here.

Without a BFD, then REW can help by showing you the best positioning of your subwoofer in a room to perhaps even out the response. Without a BFD, your results may be limited though.

brucek

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the main purposes of the REW software is to set up the filters in a BFD. The BFD is a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and is used as a parametric equalizer in line with a subwoofer to adjust its frequency response. Subwoofers tend to have very poor response (in a home setting) with large peaks that hurt the overall sound of your HT. The BFD simply tailors the subwoofers output with the use of parametric filters. There is a guide here.

Without a BFD, then REW can help by showing you the best positioning of your subwoofer in a room to perhaps even out the response. Without a BFD, your results may be limited though.

brucek
thanks for that - maybe I need one of those then :)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hi Gary and welcome to the Shack!

I'm sure you'll find all the help you'll need to get your sub-bass optimized.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts