Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What some songs that you really like for demoing... particularly with good imaging and soundstage? Not only songs that just plain sound good, but some that might challenge the speakers... good deep male voice tracks, good female voice tracks, good jazz tracks, good big bass tracks, tracks with a good drum mix... anything well-recorded and/or unique... all recommendations are welcomed.

AudiocRaver turned me on to Nickel Creek's Ode To A Butterfly during the speaker evaluation and it has superb imaging... with a very deep soundstage. The mandolin is clearly left of center stage, the fiddle is middle of the stage, with the guitar right of center, all on the front edge of the stage... then there is the deep bass being behind and between the fiddle and guitar. All instruments have their distinct placement... provided you have the right speakers.

Another one I like for demo is the Roger Water's Three Wishes... with the female voice at the beginning being over to the other side of the left speaker at about 10 o'clock... depending on the room I suppose, but in my room it seems like she is speaking out of the left wall, which is right at 10 feet from the main listening position. When the genie kicks in... the voice moves a little but is primarily up on the right side very high and somewhat behind the listener. Then at 2:47 there is that guitar riff that I really like.

Those are my favorite... but I also like Flim & The BB's Funhouse and Melody Gardot's Over The Rainbow, specifically the beginning of both, with various sounds suspended in the air up above and in front of you.

Tell us about some of your favorites.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Re: Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music

Nice list Sonnie. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, though not too familiar with Roger Waters' solo work. I have been enjoying Three Wishes now since you mentioned it during the speaker shootout. Another good one for imaging/soundstage is One of My Turns by Pink Floyd. The girl's voice at the beginning seems to move about the house, while a TV plays. For soundstage I like Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap. At times it seems to surround you to the sides and even behind you on a good setup. It's almost creepy on a 2 channel system.

This is a good topic. I'll have to sift through my favorites for speaker demo/audition and list some more. Anxious to hear what others will contribute.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Sonnie..

I thoroughly enjoyed reading (over three days) the results of the 1k speaker evaluation thread and then I stumble across this thread :clap:

Time from Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon album is one of my go to songs for demoing speakers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Pink_Floyd_song said:
Each clock at the beginning of the song was recorded separately in an antiques store. This is followed by a two-minute passage dominated by Nick Mason's drum solo, with rototoms and backgrounded by a tick-tock sound created by Roger Waters picking two muted strings on his bass.
I totally forgot about this one, so much music gong on in a single song.
Talking Heads - Take Me to the River

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Peter and Don.

I had forgotten about Time, which I know is a very interesting song. I need to break out my DSOTM SACD and listen to it. I may use it instead of Dogs of War for the next event.

I don't know that I have heard the Imogen Heap or Talking Heads songs. I will check those out too.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts

I wish I could remember the name of the track that I heard at one of the festivals that had a female duo vocal sequence. You could discern their individual locations while they were recording. Going to have to go back through my notes to see if I can track it down - pun intended! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts

Thanks Peter and Don.

I had forgotten about Time, which I know is a very interesting song. I need to break out my DSOTM SACD and listen to it. I may use it instead of Dogs of War for the next event.

I don't know that I have heard the Imogen Heap or Talking Heads songs. I will check those out too.
It's my pleasure Sonnie, thank you for starting this thread as I'm always looking for new music to experience.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I purchased The Best of Talking Heads from Amazon for 10 bucks... Remastered. I forgot how many good songs they had in the early years. One of my favorites has always been Burning Down the House. When someone mentions Talking Heads, that is the song I think of most. Of course Take Me To The River is a great song too.

·
Registered
507 Posts

:clap:
Nice Sonnie :T
I used Burning Down the House in my Fallen Unity Community Halo3 Fall 2009 Highlight Film back in 2009
Start time of the song in the vid is 6:48 and the link will drop you right in or watch the entire video here, Pink Floyd's - Dogs of War was also used in the vid :D. I've always let the music tell the story of the game play :eek:lddude:

youtube/I60KqSDYzDw?t=6m48s

·
Registered
652 Posts
Shine on you crazy diamond parts 1-5 is great! Actually all of wish you were here album is great! Welcome to the machine has some great sound effects.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts

Sure seems to me that there are a lot of very good older recordings but not that many good new recordings but, maybe it's just me. A few of my favorites new and old.

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals - Paris (Ooh La La)
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Elton John - Amoreena
The Band - Ophelia
Nora Jones - Sinkin' Soon
Dean Martin - That's Amore and Ain't That a Kick in the Head
Pink Floyd - Echoes
Alison Krauss - Paper Airplanes

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts

Couple others;
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
CCR - Green River
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me the Breeze
Tab Benoit - Medicine
Tracy Chapman _ Behind the Wall
and one just for fun...

Grace Potter - Paris (Ooh La La) + Medicine (Live from the Artists Den) Not so much for imaging and soundstage but really good for female voice and pretty good for clarity and mid-bass.

·
Registered
868 Posts

I've been using "Ghost in This House" on the Alison Krauss & Union Station Live CD as a test of center image for a while. Her voice should be well defined and dead center. I also love the sound of the percussion piece coming in at the chorus (hi-hat I think). That tells you something about the sense of space the speaker can create. I saw someone mention Paper Airplane and I really need to get that disc.

One of my favorite musical groups is The Wailin' Jennys. If you like female vocals in harmony, it doesn't really get much better. I discovered at RMAF that "Avila" from their "Firecracker" album makes a lovely demo piece. I can't pinpoint a reason per se. It just fills the room with a wonderful sound.

Another one that I got really familiar with at RMAF (though I'd heard it before) is "Peel Me a Grape" by Diana Krall. I'm not a fan of Diana Krall in general, though I've tried to be. Her music usually has put me to sleep. However, this song I kind of like and it's really very good for soundstaging, imaging and a sense of space. Her voice is palpable and a good system seems to reveal all the fluctuations and subtleties in her voicing and phrasing. The piano solo in the middle is telling as well. Off the same album, "All or Nothing At All" is pretty good too.

Can you tell I like female vocals?! For something mostly instrumental, during the holidays I like to listen to Kurt Bestor's Noel album. Lots of interesting instruments going on, and pretty well recorded to my mind too.

·
Registered
868 Posts

And I just noticed that Nova is in northern Utah. Cool, I am as well. Woods Cross to be precise. Nova, where are you at?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music - Your Favorite Demo Music

I have a series of tracks I use for audio demo
1 Sweet-Level Headed-Track 5-Love is Like Oxygen album version
2 Pink Floyd DSOTM -The Great Gig in the Sky-Any Colour You Like
3 Alan Parsons Project-Pyramid-Voyager and What Goes Up
4 Scorpions-Moment of Glory with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra SACD 5.1 ghost track-orchestra only -Winds of Change

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Love is Like Oxygen was one of my favorites way back in the day.

The Great Gig in the Sky is excellent, but I am stuck on the version from Delicate Sound of Thunder and can't seem to like any of the other girls that sing it.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I've always loved this track by the french band AIR for both it's imaging and it's theater like bass ( kicks in around 1:56 ) .. Floyd fans should also enjoy it - they borrow their sound for this album heavily from them. [

1 - 20 of 86 Posts