Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Khmer by Nils Petter Molvaer (1999) - Original Recording Reissued

The soundstage on this album is incredibly wide from wall to wall. Another awesome recording.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some random music on my server last night reminded me how well recorded Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass' "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" was.

Most groovy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here are several I've used lately and/or over the years. In no particular order...

-Pink Floyd - Money
-Chris Isaak - Graduation Day (Forever Blue CD)
-Chris Isaak - Two Hearts (San Francisco Days CD)
-Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (Flight of the Cosmic Hippo CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - Way Down Deep (The Hunter CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - Somewhere, Somebody (The Hunter CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - I Can't Hide (The Hunter CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - Bird on a Wire (Famous Blue Raincoat...CD)
-Jennifer Warnes - Joan of Arc (Famous Blue Raincoat...CD)
-Harry Connick, Jr. - She (She CD)
-Steven Curtis Chapman - In This Little Room (More to this Life CD)
-Steven Curtis Chapman - Way Beyond the Blue (More to this Life CD)
-David Phelps - Nessun Dorma [from Puccini's Turandot] (The Voice CD)
-Madonna - Cherish (The Collection CD)
-Linda Ronstadt - Heartbeats Accelerating (Winter Light CD)
-Linda Ronstadt - Anyone Who Had a Heart (Winter Light CD)
-Linda Ronstadt - Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder (Winter Light CD)
-Linda Ronstadt - Winter Light Accelerating (Winter Light CD)
-Tears for Fears - Advise for the Young at Heart (Tears Roll Down CD)
-David Sanborn - Savanna (Hearsay CD)
-David Sanborn - The Long Goodbye (Hearsay CD)
-The Nylons - Rock and Roll Lullaby (The Nylons CD)
-The Nylons - Up on the Roof (The Nylons CD)
-The Nylons - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Perfect Fit CD)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I've been listening a bit to the Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton Play the Blues, Live From Jazz at Lincoln and it is pretty good. Nice imaging in way of instrument placement, good vocals, brass and of course guitar.
The only issue is on occasion the horns do take over the space, as they do live, and may get a bit course.

·
Registered
100 Posts
One of the things that makes a great recording are great monitors and a great engineer. The monitors must be painfully revealing, in order not to mask any 'issues' with the recording. ATC's are those kind of monitors, and the personal speakers of Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. The ATC US distributer is here in Vegas and at our December club meeting he talked about some of the better engineers out there:

I mentioned great engineers such as
Al Schmitt http://www.allmusic.com/artist/al-schmitt-mn0000933071 Buy anything he does.

Another is Ed Cherney http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ed-cherney-mn0000172911 Amazing work he does (unless the artist thinks they know better). He bought ATC's in 2010, so his work has improved since then.

In movies another ATC user Dennis Sands: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0762304/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Steven Kempster http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0447502/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Both do nice work.
Clearly, it is ATC speaker centric, but the ATC distributer's main business is supplying recording studios with equipment (microphones, etc., etc.), so he does spend quite a bit of time in studios.

Surprisingly, here were a couple of very recent recordings that he said are very well engineered/recorded:

London Grammar "Hey Now" -- these three anguished over every detail on their record. It's very clean.

Lorde "Royals" -- yeah, I know, but it is very well done.

If you want to play some nice bass, the London Grammar song above will :hsd: I found where I needed to add a ton of damplifier pro to the rear deck of my wife's car, and I only have two Hybrid Audio Technology Legatia 8" speakers back there. Nothing really 'thumping'. "Hey Now" gives my Velodynes a good workout.

From the most recent recommendations above, I found it odd that I hadn't heard of Yello before. I played trumpet all through college. Hmmm, maybe I just don't "remember" hearing his stuff before. :devil:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Surprisingly, here were a couple of very recent recordings that he said are very well engineered/recorded:

London Grammar "Hey Now" -- these three anguished over every detail on their record. It's very clean.
This guy claims he has a six figure system, although that does not necessarily mean he knows what he is talking about, but it would be hard for me to spend 20 bucks on a new groups first album with this kind of review of it out there. It seems to kind of go along with what you are saying about the bass. Do you think it really sounds that good?

HORRIBLE MIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stellar vocals although most verbage is indistinguishable. BOTTOM END IS OVERPOWERING AND BOOMING and almost difficult to listen to a pleasant volume. The bass combined with a horrible 60's drum barrage combines for a muddy piece of music.
A reassessment of the production values, the elimination of electronica combined with a remix ie: addition of a CELLO AND STRINGS would completely change the dynamic of this otherwise melodic collection.
I can only imagine this session was mixed on VERY inexpensive pair of speakers, that did not have any bass response. I can almost feel my baffles absorbing the boom. (might the band book some time @Abbey Road ) and mix on B&W's.
Orchestration, remix, the elimination of the drums, with very few bass riffs would change this CD from a 2 play resale to a lifelong treasure mandating weekly play. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Is it aloud to link up songs to youtube in here? Or maybe the music file or files in zip?
I'm not sure on that one. Mods??? Anyone? I've only posted pics and it seems a lot of people post links to other forums and websites so I wouldn't think it would be a problem but I do not know.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
You can insert YouTube URLs... just paste them straight into your post and our media plugin will do its thing.

Make sure it is clean though... nothing that would break our language or modesty rules.

As for music files... we don't do music file sharing. That breaks our rules and the law.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fighting my phone. Referring to the London Grammar song review.

The genre is naturally bass heavy. I don't find it muddy on my <<$100k system. Maybe that's the problem? :dontknow: It sure wasn't muddy on the ATC40's I heard it on for the very first time, and they went down way lower than their specs would lead you to believe.

I do know that I don't expect Skrillex to be smooth, Enya-esque though. Sometimes expectations need to be adjusted to appreciate things.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute and Livin on a fault line. Both great albums .

Steely Dan - I always liked the Royal Scam.

David Gilmour - About Face.

Flim & The BB's - If I remember ... the DMP stuff was best .

·
Registered
43 Posts
1 - Anita Skorgan - Takk for hver dag på jorden ( Norwegian)
2 - Anne Grete Preus - Vår herres klinkekule (Norwegian)
3 - Friedman - Eye of the dragon
4 - Patricia Barber - Use me
5 - Diana Krall - Why should I care
6 - Tom Jones - Help yourself
7 - Youn Sun Nah - Ghost riders in the sky
8 - Tony Bennett & K.D. Lang - Dream a little dream of me
9 - Radka Toneff - My funny valentine
10 - Janis Ian - Some people's lives
11 - Holly Cole - Smile
12 - Kit Chan - There's no place I'd rather be
13 - Marcia Seebaran - You've got a friend
14 - Elisabeth Chan - Windflowers
15 - Rainbow Chau - O Holly night
16 - Bethany & Rufus - St.James Infirmary
17 - Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Time to say goodbye
18 - Charly Antolini - Drum
19 - Infected Mushrums - Avratz ( Be careful with your bass!!!!)
20 - Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Stariway to Heaven ( Live in Japan cd )
21 - Musica Nuda - Fever
22 - Musica Nuda - Your the one that I want ( from Live A Pip cd )
23 - Nils Loftgren - Keith dont go ( from Acoustic Live cd )
24 - Kari Bremnes - Sangen om fyret ved tornehamn Norwegian )
25 - Era - The Mass

All the Norwegian song are pretty hard to find in USA, But I think you`ll be able to find them on youtube. Here are song to test your bass, your soundstage, the vocal presentation of your speakers. The debth and width of the soundstange in the room

:fireworks2: Please be careful with your speakers, espesially on the song 19. Infected Mushrums Avratz, this goes very deep, if your not careful.... :fireworks1:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gino Vannelli CD called "Canto", song
" Mala Luna "

Video demo song,when they hit the big drum with the large mallet, it permeates your body ( well, if you have 4 of the 18" Stereo Integrity subwoofers like I do in a 8 foot long cabinet with 6K watts on it)

61 - 80 of 86 Posts