Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Goodwill special gone bad

Tags
goodwill
3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ampire 
G
#1 ·
Hi all! My first post.

I picked up a Boston Acoustic PV600 sub and a Yamaha RX-V595a receiver at the local Goodwill a week ago. Long story short the sub was working beautifully but would stop working intermittently. I thought it might be a problem with the amp but when hooked to a friends Denon I had the same problem. Short of the long is the plate amp is bad, it smoked when trying to figure out the problem. The driver seems to be fine as it doesn't make any scraping sounds when moving it manually and was working beautifully prior to the meltdown.

My question is this....and please bear with me as it's been a LONG time since I have played around with any AV stuff....should I send the plate amp off to BA and get it fixed? Or, should I install a new (cheaper, I'm poor right now) plate amp.

I'm so far out of the loop right now I really have no clue as to the best route to take. The sub cost me $8.99 and the amp was $12.99....gotta love Goodwill in Naples Fl. Any advice would be appreciated as the sub when it was working totally transformed my system....I got a taste and liked it, I'm just really hurting financially right now.

As a side note, my buddy let me keep his Denon, the $12.99 Yamaha RX-V595a works great with no problem....could I use either to power the sub? The Denon is only set up to run 6-8 ohm ....the Yamaha can be set to run the mains at 4 ohm.....

Thank in advance for your help...

Lowsidr

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that is the deal of the century.. I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd prowl the goodwill until another amp showed up. A new amp is going to be a lot more. and getting your current one fixed is probably even more expensive.

Also, I'm not convinced that you didn't ruin the driver. It's POSSIBLE that when the amp blew, it took the driver with it. Can't know unless you try hooking up a new amp.

Finally, I don't think there is a way to power your sub with either reciever you have.

Sorry, but unless you can find another amp at goodwill or a pawn shop, I think you're stuck.

#5 ·
Actually, you might have another option. Try using the Denon as your main receiver, and then run a cable from the subwoofer out of the Denon into one of the discrete 6 channel inputs on the Yamaha, let's say the Front Left input for instance. Now wire the driver up to the Front Left binding posts on the back of the Yamaha and run the Yamaha in 6 channel mode.

This should work. Don't know much much power you'll be able to feed the sub, and you'll have to figure out some way to run a wire direct to the subwoofer driver, bypassing the Boston amp, but you gotta take what you can get I guess.

G
#7 ·
Thanks for the idea Steve, very creative. I don't think i want to go that Frankenstein though, w/no crossover and underpowered I don't think the sub would sound too great. I might just need to sell some stuff on Ebay and buy a new plate amp.

Speaking of Plate amps....anyone recommend one over the other? Can I use one that had more power than the original? Most importantly, how can I determine whether my driver is still good?

G
#8 ·
Steve,

I just re-read your post, I was thinking that because the subs amp was dead that the sub would receive a full range signal....I missed the sub output part from the Denon to the Yamaha...oops, I also noticed that the BA's plate had an input that bypassed the subs crossover....I see what your getting at, I'm just a bit slow! Thanks, I will give it a try.

If the driver is bad it wont hurt the receiver will it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.