Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well.....im embarking on a wonderful trip to the DIY world. after reading reviews on the pioneer b20 driver.ive decided to go with it...i haven't ordered yet but im a bit stubborn after i choose ..:innocent:
so..i know its got decent Q and i thought it would perform decently in a voigt pipe.i have considered the bass reflex and have modeled a bit in winiisd....however ..i wanna try somethin exotic as my first build (but i know the construction is fairly simple*).i have read quite a bit on the single driver website and martin's tqwp site.i don't think im up to designing one for myself...soo..i know alot of diy'ers have passed through this driver..so .can anyone suggest an online plan ,one they have used with good results with this configuration or even if someone is skilled enough to plan one for me....i'd really appreciate it
brandon...:yes:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm about to build a pair of MLTLs with Pioneer B20s and Motorola KSN-1005s. The 3 cubic foot slotted box has inside dimensions of 9.25" wide x 9.75" deep x 58" tall and a slot on the bottom that is 1.5" tall x 9.25" wide and 6.64" deep. I'll be adding phase plugs to the B20s. Zdriver for the B20 is 23" and the piezo below that. I'm using an 8 Ohm resistor across the piezo, a 1.33 uF capacitor for a 6dB rolloff to the piezo at 15 kHz and a 50-watt L-Pad. This loudspeaker models an F3 of about 32Hz.

Otherwise if you want exotic a Chang build might be in order. PM me and I can email you the plans.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=51

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Nelson Pass' B20 TL box.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet thanks guys..yeah i read alot about freddie chang's designs and that one especially..im actually using that very same tweeter from dayton that he used.umm..one question though..i know i don't necessarily have to use a crossover network with the tweeter and the pioneer. however i was wondering...how do i connect them together with the capacitor on the dayton without affecting the b20(i tried connecting a woofer with a midrange but the midrange sound was non existent in series but it was there in parallel..but obviously i dont have a receiver thats stable @ 2ohms..i guess the sound would be a result of the resistance of the woofer.anyone know what i mean?..i know i prolly wasn't that clear.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

This simple circuit should work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i run the wires from the receiver to the b20 as well?and the b20 is 8ohms and the tweeter is 6 i believe that should give me a resistance of 3.4 ohms. well...my receiver is stable from 8-16 ohms but i do run 4ohm speakers on it...think i could bring up the impedance a bit?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The speaker leads from your receiver would connect to the leads on the Pioneer B20 or the speaker terminals which are attached to the leads on the Pioneer B20. The above circuit is also applied between the B20 and the tweeter. Don't worry about the impedance of your completed loudspeaker circuit. With a high pass filter in there it is not going to behave as you have assumed. Now what may need some experimentation are the capacitor values as these set ups often require playing around with them to get it to sound right. Due to the actual impedance of the drivers at the crossover frequency, the available crossover calculators may not return the value needed to actually achieve the desired result.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome, well thats out of the way. umm i was interested in the BIB pipe horn u sent me, i haven't seen any listening tests on it.do you know anything about its performance especially down low?? i want to have some decent bass response from my enclosure of choice.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice , umm..i believe this should be the final question..as i've pondered .regarding stuffing , would polyfill suffice?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you read the info on BIBs you will find that stuffing is really room and equipment dependent. Once the speaker is completed one experiments with different amounts and location of stuffing in a sort of tune to taste methodology. Polyfill will work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts