Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: THANK YOU for a great forum and very detailed instructions and pointers. Great instructions on what to do on my WS-65909 (Manufactured May 2002) convergence IC replacement. Wish I had simply re-soldered the original chip, rather than going gun-ho to buy new chip and doing a rip and replace. Anyway, the unit fired up fine after I determined a wire harness had pulled loose when I was slidding the chassis back into place.
My question now is how to get rid of the grainy screen. Even HD channels have grainy pictures. I did go in and use auto-set for convergence, and then touched up the red & blue settings in convergence. It almost looks like it will not go into 1080 resolution, and is stuck a lower res. Any ideas? BTW, I rest sharpness, alittle past 50%, made sure my DirecTV is tracked (tuned) right, etc. Any suggestions?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Grain is nearly always in the source. If an image has grain or noise, you will see it BETTER at higher resolutions. Turn down the sharpness until it is less objectionable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK...I set sharpness way down below 50%, but now I see mild shadowing on a HDNet channel. Not same sharp picture I had before the convergence IC rip/replace. I used auto-reset for convergence, and then maually set red/blue. Still mild shadow and grainy looking. It almost looks like it is none-HD. I confirmed the res is 1080i standard via composite inputs directly off of a DirectTV HR-22 receiver. This all seems to be related to the IC repair. Any thoughts? Again, thank you for your patience and guidance.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is the shadowing one color? What do you mean by "auto?" Mitsubishi never had any kind of auto convergence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again. The shadowing is not in color, it is a faint outline, and then a slight bar left to right when anything like lettering, boxes, or whatever are shown in programing. It almost looks like the old analog ghosting on old sets with roof top antennas. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
opps. I forgot to answer your second question. The Mits does have a red, blue, and then auto-set to default as options on the set-up screen.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I think you need to look again. No Mitsubishi set has ever had any auto convergence that I recall, including this one. It did have a reset to clear the consumer adjustments, and it has advanced level consumer point control, but no auto convergence. It simply clears the adjustments made in the consumer convergence and resets to the last service level settings stored.

You said that you connected via composite from the sat receiver to the set. I assume that you mean component, right? Also, does the set display 1080i to indicate that is the type of signal that you are viewing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...I guess it (the "auto" mode") sets back to the old setting on convergence, which means that setting is off after the IC change out. My manual mode changes a little on reb/blue, but still fuzzy. They are component...(duh on me....sorry), and the set displays "1080i standard - Input" as it changes from VCR to DTV....meaning (I think) it is showing what is feeding into Mits' input from DTV. Hope this helps. Sorry for my ignorance. I am sure I am frustrating you and the rest of the blog!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Can you post some pictures of what you are seeing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts