Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been covered here before....but can the light gray sintra be used by itself as a screen? Didn't know if it was nuetral enough or matte enough.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
This may have been covered here before....but can the light gray sintra be used by itself as a screen? Didn't know if it was nuetral enough or matte enough.
Someone sent Mech some white and gray Sintra samples and IIRC the grays were neutral enough, but I don't think the samples were large enough to judge gloss from. Here are those readings.

Hummm, I see Mech said he would get some gain readings from those samples. I don't remember him doing so. We'll have to light a fire under him to get that done. :waiting: In all fairness I do remember that off-forum events occurred that put a serious crimp in the amount of time we can put into testing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Great, thanks...I don't remember the white hotspotting, but the gray is probably more sensitive to it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Ok. Great, thanks...I don't remember the white hotspotting, but the gray is probably more sensitive to it.
Yes, the darker a screen is the more it will tend to hot spot even if gloss is kept constant due to the increased contrast between highlighted and nonhighlighted areas. This is why Sherwin-Williams ProClassic satin finish paint doesn't hot spot in white or light gray, but does in gray levels below N8.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
It would really great if Mech finds the time to get some gain readings on sintra material. I 'm into changing my plasterboard and every information on various alternatives it would be quite useful since the DW laminate does not cover my needs for a 126''-128'' screen.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Hummm, I see Mech said he would get some gain readings from those samples. I don't remember him doing so. We'll have to light a fire under him to get that done.
:eek: Good luck with that! :eek:

You never know when I will find time though. There are several thing on my Shack-do list though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts