Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I just found this site tonight and I think it is really going to help me to put a home theater together. Back in the late 60's through the late 70's I was one of those guys with the loud clean stereo. i got married in 82 and purchased my current stereo B&O turntable,Carver Receiver and Polk 10 speakers.
This system has served me fairly well over the 26 or so years. I also use it for TV audio. I have decided to go with some sort of Home theater but it really been confusing. It seems like all the receivers I have been looking at have several models that are in the same price range, like Denons, Yamaha and most other brands I have looked at. This has been very confusing to me. The new system will also be used for music and to tell you the truth, I have not hears small speakers that sound very good with music. My TV is only 1080i, as it is a Sony Plasma, although I have to say it has as good of a picture as I have seen on a good HD station. I have Charter Cable.
Well I think I am going to look around and see what I can learn.
By the way money is a factor right now so I will be purchasing mid to low priced items, like $500 to $600
For the receiver. that seems to be a price where you d get some features, but not where I would like to be.
Thanks
Dennis aka nifman

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy nifman and welcome to the Shack!

We hope you enjoy your stay... :T

Sonnie

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum ...:wave:

... I have decided to go with some sort of Home theater but it really been confusing... By the way money is a factor right now so I will be purchasing mid to low priced items, like $500 to $600
For the receiver. that seems to be a price where you d get some features, but not where I would like to be.
Do you plan to get new speakers too??? ...you mentioned $500-$600 for receiver only, Right???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Sorry about the long time it took to reply, I have had some unusual things happen in a short amount of time. But I am still going to put a system together. Made it to a decent stereo store(Sound Room , Traverse City Mi). They suggested for a receiver Integra or Cambridge, the one from Great Britain. Anyone have any comments on either. I just had a short time with the saleperson, they close at 3:00pm on saturdays and I did not know that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have made some progress. I picked up a Onyko 876 after much soul-searching. I had read many places it is really hard to setup. Other than on brainfart it has not been to much of a problem. Right now I am making do with speakers I had at home. I picked up a set of Theater Research at a auction. I purchased them on a whim, got 1 center, 4 towers and a powered sub for $50. The sub will not work the way it is so I have 2 set up in the back 1 center and 30 year old Polk 7's in the front. I have not read anything good about the Theater Research speakers, but I guess they will work until I find something else. Money is a factor, but I did get the receiver for $899 delivered from a authorised dealer. I had to get silver, but it looks OK, but what a monster.
Anyone know how many ohms Theater Research speakers are? Also not sure what to do about the bass, in the setup. I have not tried to really get things dialed yet but it sounds surprising good. At least it is up and running, I was very nervous after things I had read. It was much simpler in the 60's when you just flipped a switch, or turned a dial. It is amazing all the options on the newer receivers.
Now I am on a quest to get some good speakers,(that I can afford, not sure how much yet)I may pick up a sub first, or get the Theater Research modified)But I am not sure if it would be worth it as I have read they are junk. one of my biggest fears is not getting real good sound out of small speakers for music. My wife is going along with this system but smaller speakers are my big concession. I have always thought it takes a large speaker to move lots of air to sound like the real instrument. But things have progressed I guess.
Talk to you later.
Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts