Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I came here after finding several references to the REW software on other forums. Little did I know I'd find such a rich community and I look forward to reading as many threads as I can.

I got into audio in high school but could not afford anything till I started working part time in college. My first system in 1984 was a Phillips 14 bit DAC CD player (I did the mods), Advent 3002 speakers and a long forgotten receiver. I used to read rec.audio religiously on the internet long before most people outside universities even knew what the internet was.

I improved the system over the years including a few DIY amps but at some point my focus shifted from 2 channel to home theater. Believe it or not, I only just replaced those 30 year old Advent speakers (albeit with replacement woofer drivers) just last week when I got four new Bowers and Wilkins CL5s and a "Centre 2".

In my recent research, I have noticed that a lot has changed in audio since I last seriously looked. The most striking changed is the total absence of any speaker similar to the Avent 3002 - i.e. a decent size sealed enclosure speaker with a real woofer driver. Now, it seems, that the trend is to small bookshelf speakers with no low-end on one side and floor standing speakers on the other side. And even the majority of floor standing speakers have dinky drivers or have built-in subwoofers (I'm excluding speakers with stratospheric prices). I'd love to know why this is the case - are people only concerned with aesthetics now? As far as I'm concerned there isn't any substitute for moving air on the low end.

ok, sorry for the rant, I'll get to reading the threads now :)

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Your observations and conclusions about speakers are pretty much spot on.
But just because things are different does not mean it has gone down hill.
Truth be told not very many of the old speakers we grew up with and loved produced bass very well.
Some produced lots of it but not very smoothly.
Good affordable subwoofers are now readily available and do a much better job than a 12" woofer of yesteryear that was stuffed in a undersized enclosure ever thought about doing.
Don't get me wrong, I loved my old stereo.
I had it longer than both my wives combined (I think wife #2 will overtake it eventually though)
I don't miss the old gear, the new stuff is better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't necessarily mean to imply that the new stuff is inferior. Clearly, advances in CAD and computer aided analysis are resulting in more efficient and small speakers that can produce sound tremendously well.

Indeed, after a fair amount of fiddling and tuning I've managed to get my B+W speakers to blend almost seamlessly with the MartinLogan sub. It was hard for me to admit it, but the new system does sound a lot better overall. However, that punch I used to get from the Advent's on the front channels in movies is gone because the CL5s simply can't move as much air. The MartinLogan sub fills in nicely but something is still missing.

BTW, the reason I picked the Advent 3002 speakers a long time ago was precisely because they were one of the few (if not only) speakers in my price range that could do a decent job with low-end :)

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to HTS. :wave:

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Welcome to the Shack... Glad you joined.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yo !! Come on in and take a seat, lets talk and welcome you to the shack.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack! Please visit us often.

I have been a hifi/stereo nut for 50 years and certainly have seen things come and go. You are correct that the current preference for some folks is a set of small speakers supplemented by a subwoofer. Aesthetics play a part in that transition. Some people just don't like large speakers arranged around their TV. And forget it for interior decorators - they would mount everything in the ceiling or figure out a way to cover everything up.

BTW, I remember the Advents. I recall seeing many of them in friend's dorm rooms when I was in college over 40 years ago. I never owned any; my college system was a pair of awful Wharfedale bookshelf speakers driven by a Heathkit receiver. While in college I was introduced to Klipsch speakers by a dealer in the same town as the university. As a result, all the speakers in the house (multiple setups) are Klipsch from either the Heritage line in the HT to the Reference line elsewhere.

Great sound is available now, so don't give up. Sadly local dealers that have quality equipment set up for demo are almost out of business now. However, there are on line speaker dealers (some internet direct only) that have generous return policies.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I like Big speakers and will one day find my original love match, a pair of Genesis Physics 2 speakers, maybe even with the green foam surrounds in my area. Here is to hoping.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome to the Home Theater Shack. Yes, a lot of companies are going to bookshelf or mulitple smaller drivers, but there are still large floor standers. I'm a big speaker kind of guy.

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Hi all,
I came here after finding several references to the REW software on other forums. Little did I know I'd find such a rich community and I look forward to reading as many threads as I can.

I got into audio in high school but could not afford anything till I started working part time in college. My first system in 1984 was a Phillips 14 bit DAC CD player (I did the mods), Advent 3002 speakers and a long forgotten receiver. I used to read rec.audio religiously on the internet long before most people outside universities even knew what the internet was.

I improved the system over the years including a few DIY amps but at some point my focus shifted from 2 channel to home theater. Believe it or not, I only just replaced those 30 year old Advent speakers (albeit with replacement woofer drivers) just last week when I got four new Bowers and Wilkins CL5s and a "Centre 2".

In my recent research, I have noticed that a lot has changed in audio since I last seriously looked. The most striking changed is the total absence of any speaker similar to the Avent 3002 - i.e. a decent size sealed enclosure speaker with a real woofer driver. Now, it seems, that the trend is to small bookshelf speakers with no low-end on one side and floor standing speakers on the other side. And even the majority of floor standing speakers have dinky drivers or have built-in subwoofers (I'm excluding speakers with stratospheric prices). I'd love to know why this is the case - are people only concerned with aesthetics now? As far as I'm concerned there isn't any substitute for moving air on the low end.

ok, sorry for the rant, I'll get to reading the threads now :)
Hi Lockon, welcome to HTS. Yes, times have changed since the Advent 3002, hopefully for the better!
Not too many 8" 2 way bookshelfs in home "hifi", but there are "vintage" type speakers like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.