Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I live in Minnesota, and I'm very happy that Google listed this site when I looked for "room equalizers" last week. I've been doing a lot of reading about how to use the REW software, and I'm looking forward to trying it to see if I can improve my listening experience. Here's a little bit of my background:

I've been very interested in audio gear and listening to music in general since I built a Heathkit amplifier back in the 70's. I like most types of music, but I'd say my favorite is guitar music. I like Leo Kotke, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Santana and most other rock and blues artists. I think Santana started my interest in this area with his Abraxas album back in the early 70's.

I used the Heathkit for a number of years, and I still have it tucked away in a corner. I upgraded in the late 80's / early 90's to a Carver receiver and a couple of B&W speakers. I fell in love with the Carver's "Sonic Holography" sound processing. I really enyed the depth and breadth of the music that it produced.

Maybe 5 years or so ago I started accumulating gear for what would eventually become our home theater / listening room. I really wanted to continue to have the sonic holography, so my current system includes a Sunfire ultimate receiver II. I added a HSU TN1220 HO sub and amp, and 5 B&W speakers for the front and surround. I'll probably add some equalization at some point in the future depending on what REW shows. It's all a lot of fun and I really enjoy fiddling around with things.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forums in the future.

Regards,
Rog

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome Rog. Very glad that you have joined us.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike,

It's an AA-29 - 35 Watts per channel. :)

I remember starting out by putting all of the like capacitors and resistors into separate muffin tins so they could be easily accessed during assembly. I enjoyed the soldering a lot.

I just opened up the manual and found that I still have a graph from some kind of audio clinic that I took it to after I built it. I can't remember who the manufacturer was that ran the clinic (Was there a McIntosh at some point in time ?) . Anyway, they ran this clinic to show how good their equipment was by testing other people's stuff and comparing it with their own.

The Heathkit did o.k. I never really understood some of the technical measures very well (other than lower is better). But, I think it looks like < .1 THD from 50 - 10k, increasing to .2 at 20K.

Funny how things have changed. They didn't even drive the system to less than 50 Hz back then.

Rog

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Roger. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts