Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post!. Long time lurker first time poster. I need the input though.

Upstairs system is set due to spousal influence. It is very enjoyable though.

Downstairs system is open due to lack of same. Current setup: 720p projector on a recycled classroom screen in the basement below the kid's room. Seas Thors (built by me) for LRC but no surrounds. Running 2 channel now looking for electronic pre/pro and amp solution. I like the 990 but there's no internal x over for the subs.

Currently in design phase for the main theater. Issues:
1) Subs: currently thinking the Maelstrom 21's look fun. Two of those and a pro 2 channel or 5 dayton 15HF's and an older craigslist 5 channel amp? With the 5 I could space them through the room so room nodes are less of an issue. With 2 21" subs I'd be more limited but would have the Wow factor.

2) surrounds:
anyone know a good inwall or in ceiling design because...

3) The space is finished in drywall right below the kids room and the floor is beamed and not slab. The room echos like a cave. The floor rumbles when you walk across it. I'm thinking of adding 5/8 dry wall to the ceiling and 3/4 underlayment to the floor before carpeting. This would allow some in ceiling surrounds to be build with boxes between the joists. The walls I'll likely build some sort of trap but this is very up in the air. Anyone know a source of acoustically trans parent fabric?

4) I've gutted rooms and moved walls and elec before so that doesn't scare me. Building a sub into the wall in the wrong spot acoustically does.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Mike, welcome aboard!

Are you dead set on getting a pre-pro? the reason I ask is that receivers with pre outs offer alot more options for the money and are less expensive. The Onkyo 876 for $850 is a fantastic option and has superb audio and video processing better than most pre pros that cost twice as much.

We all generally recommend against inwall/ceiling speakers due to they simply not sounding as good and the cost being a fair bit more for decent ones.

Enjoy your stay at the Shack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely not set on a pre-pro. With the oppo BluRay having 7.1 or 2 output the pre pro is a super expensive volume control/video switcher. The problem with surrounds (separate boxes) is that I'd likely get NHT Classic three's but they're about 1 foot deep. This brings the speaker 1 foot closer to the listener and less "dispersed". And, they stick out into the room. Typical "surround" speakers sound awful in direct listening with mids pointing out the sides. Typical inwalls/ceiling sound even worse but I could DIY some boxes between joists if necessary. Just need the right xover combo. Probably a question best posed on a different thread.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Mike. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts