Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Home Theater Shack! Within literally the last week, I decided that I shall embark on a new hobby, and that will be home audio, specifically, DIY speaker design. And, I know nothing about it yet. :D

It's newbie time! :help:

My current hobby is sound quality focused car audio, and I've been a member of DIYMA since 2009. That hobby started the same way, sudden and random, backed by zero knowledge. Nonetheless, I now get to enjoy a powerful, realistic (Mid-Fi probably) sound stage on my long commute every day, and for that, I am greatly pleased. There is far more to learn in that field, but I am very satisfied with what I was able to achieve from simply absorbing information from like-minded brethren.

So, within the last week, I've been trying to help a friend find a good pair of woofers because one of his blew, shorted out, and took his receiver out with it. Upon researching (still), I felt that familiar feeling coming on, and POW! Instant pre-obsession with a hobby yet future.

And, now I'm here. :wave:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,384 Posts
Welcome to HTS! :yes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I might add that my plan is to learn crossover design/theory/implementation first before getting into drivers and cabinetry, unless it all needs to be learned simultaneously for practical reasons. I plan to research and learn all winter and begin building in the spring when I have gained enough knowledge to create a first project with acceptable results. I don't expect my first build to even come close to competing with high end professional designs, but I do want it to sound pleasing to my ears.

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to HTS. :wave:

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Thanks guys! I might add that my plan is to learn crossover design/theory/implementation first before getting into drivers and cabinetry, unless it all needs to be learned simultaneously for practical reasons. I plan to research and learn all winter and begin building in the spring when I have gained enough knowledge to create a first project with acceptable results. I don't expect my first build to even come close to competing with high end professional designs, but I do want it to sound pleasing to my ears.

Many thanks!
Welcome aboard.

Crossover design goes hand in hand with the drivers chosen, (Obviously) and those drivers dictate the cabinets required to house them in.
However, it is achievable, and some very good results have been implemented before today's computer based tools were invented. :eek:lddude:

Everyone here will help you embark upon your new addiction. :devil:

Cheers,
Bill.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack, Daniel. We are happy you chose to join us! :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Welcome to HTS! Be sure to ask questions; lots of very friendly folks here who are happy to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. Looks like I picked the right place!

I wasn't sure which was the right forum for me, but it seemed to be right one from my Google search. I remembered using the box calculators here before while designing one of my car subwoofer cabinets.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Welcome to HTS. I think you will still find plenty of answers and suggestions here as you did for the car designs you tried. There are definitely some very well informed members here including professionals.

One thought I have to start with is crossover design. You can start there because no matter what you build you can always taper it to meet the room requirements after the build. But you might first decide on the room size and configuration and the driver size required to fill it first. Then figure how much space you have for each speaker. Because you can start with a TC Sounds 18" LMS 5400 Ultra woofer with a 2000watt PS from dayton in a 30"x24x24 cabinet to start but you might only need a 12" LMS driver in a smaller ported design that will still get you into the 20hz range @ 80++db and you do not even need to know anything about crossovers. Do a search or got to the home page.

At the top of any page the top menu bar has "HOME" click on home and once there look on the left hand column you will find a link to every speaker type build including crossovers.

You can buy pre-built crossovers for nearly any driver and driver combination out there where personal knowledge is useful is in tweaking this std crossover to max optimize you sound to meet cabinet and room demands. One more thought most sites will give you crossover design schematics that you can tweak by buying better parts for. Just by replacing std caps with Mundorf or ClarityCaps will yield more detail and accuracy. You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Try Zalytron or Madisound

Most of all have some fun..., you are in the right place.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HTS.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts