Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My name is Dave and I run a small home recording studio out of my basement.
In addition to recording Demos and CD's for many of our regional musicians, I do a lot of sound design work for local theaters as well as sound FX for some film makers in the area.
Lately, about 75% of my gigs have been recording live drum tracks for folks who are tired of trying to program canned loops into their music.

Basic rundown of my gear: Tracking deck is a Roland VS-2480DVD with two VS8F-3 and two VS8F-2 FX cards (with all the after market plugins) and my mixing station is a Dual Xeon DAW running XP Pro and Sonar 8.53 Producer. Monitoring duties are Adam A7 Nearfields and a pair of Yamaha NS-10's.

Glad to be here! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dave, welcome to the Shack!
Can you tell us how your AdamA7 sound? I'm curious since I have the P33A.

Cheers,
Marco
I love em!

Very full and flat at the same time... I'm able to zero in on things I wasn't able to fully dial in with the NS10's (mainly in the low-end).
In my space, they're the truest at around 3 ft from the mixing position... Pulling any farther back brought in some room modes dipping at around 50hz... Something that I couldn't even have detected with the Yamaha's.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Hi Dave, Welcome to the forum...:wave:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello, Dave. Nice to have you aboard.

Got the "classic" NS-10's, eh? Hard to get, these days.
I have never, ever, understood the attraction of NS-10's. They were horrible little speakers when they were introduced in the late 70's... even when they developed the NS-10M's they remained ear-fatiguing little pieces of !#[email protected] that were marginally better than auratone cubes. Yeah, I know they eventually won a Grammy (but so did Milli Vanilli, Baha Men, Puff Daddy, All-4-One, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton).
I remember first hearing them in '78 or '79 when they were just another badly designed home speaker and was completely perplexed when they started making their way into studios.
I suppose if you mixed your stuff on them and the mix sounded good on NS-10's, they'd sound good on ANYTHING.

Sure, you want to check out your mixes on consumer-grade systems, but wow, as for them being a studio staple, I am still puzzled.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love em!

Very full and flat at the same time... I'm able to zero in on things I wasn't able to fully dial in with the NS10's (mainly in the low-end).
In my space, they're the truest at around 3 ft from the mixing position... Pulling any farther back brought in some room modes dipping at around 50hz... Something that I couldn't even have detected with the Yamaha's.

:)
Yeah... they are so revealing, it's disgusting! It's hard to escape from their truth...:sweat:

I suppose if you mixed your stuff on them and the mix sounded good on NS-10's, they'd sound good on ANYTHING.
Exactly! They were (or still are) the reference bad speakers.:sarcastic:
Somehow they defy the laws of aesthetic!:rofl2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sure, you want to check out your mixes on consumer-grade systems, but wow, as for them being a studio staple, I am still puzzled.
I always felt a bit like they were there to remind studios why they spent so much money on their mains....:D

Nothing as satisfying as dialing in a mix on NS10s and then switching on the big boys, leaning back and enjoying your job all over again....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always felt a bit like they were there to remind studios why they spent so much money on their mains....:D

Nothing as satisfying as dialing in a mix on NS10s and then switching on the big boys, leaning back and enjoying your job all over again....
That's gotta be why folks have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts

LOL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

:D :D :D :D :D

I've been hearing the NS10 debate for forever and always wondered if I lucked out with the pair I have...
Never had to put tissue over the tweeters and, seriously, if a mix sounds good on them, it pretty much rocks anywhere I play it...

Of course, they look like they have been around the block... Not too sure of the history, but I got em from a kid in AZ who got em gifted to him from his dad's studio (he wanted my ART MPA more than he wanted these)...

The grills over the tweeters are pushed in (tweeters are fine tho) and the woofers are a little more yellow than white (plus it looks like someone tried to clean the yellow off in one spot) but I've always been afraid that, if I replace them, I'm also going to inherit the issues that everyone else associates with NS10s...

Maybe someday I'll have to, but until then, I'm keeping em just like they are..

:coocoo: :T

·
Registered
193 Posts
If it ain't broke ....

Yes, if you replace the speakers, at the very least, you'll likely spend hours playing your mixes on other references getting your ears readjusted. You may as well put it off for as long as you can! Who knows how long they'll last? You might be in your 80's before they quit!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts