Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Greetings from Black Forest, Colorado!

I am a DIY speaker building junkie. For fun, I buy garage sale speakers and re-foam them. JBLs, Boston Acoustics, Dahlquists (know where to find 11" foam???).

One of my (many) current projects is a transmission line Cerwin-Vega "Vega 124" sub. It has a folded 9' line with several screened areas to vary the stuffing density across the line. My wife is a great analyst for "WAF" (and well qualified), this TL is failing (10"x18"x54"), but she is a phenomenal good sport about all of the speaker enclosures laying around. So far I have figured out: 1. no stuffin is no good. 2. Half a pound/cu ft is not enough 3. One pound/cu ft is too much. Also the Vega 124 advertised 19mm x-max and sensitivity ratings are bull! I'm driving this with a Mackie PA amp that puts out 400WRMS in to the 4 ohm impedance of my speaker. I changed out the 80mm fan to an ultra quiet PC fan (Noctua).

My grandchildren associate the THX movie introductions with me!

Also working on a CinemaScope projector/anamorphic lens/screen project.

I am also a member of the Colorado Audio Society and plan on attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest the weekend of October 10, 2008.

Thanks,
SubMan

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome to the Shack Skarr!

Sounds like your having fun with rebuilding speakers. Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy there SubMan and welcome to the Shack!

We hope you find yourself hanging with us regularly... :T

Sonnie

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all ... Welcome :wave:

I am a DIY speaker building junkie. For fun, I buy garage sale speakers and re-foam them. JBLs, Boston Acoustics, Dahlquists (know where to find 11" foam???)...
Do you do this just for fun??? ... it will be a good idea for a little extra work and $$$ :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts