Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long long long time since I've been here (or on any screen forum). I see there's been some changes around here.

So what's new in the DIY screen world?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Absolutely nothing has changed in DIY screen world Bill. You still have the same old crack pots at avs defying the laws of physics and worshiping Gryzboken! Well I guess Ftoast had something new, paintwise, last time I looked. But it was a mica mix IIRC.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My health was pretty bad... basically I worked myself to death... literally. I was working 70 plus hours a week and in 2009 it all caught up with me and I had to have open heart surgery. It didn't go well and I was literally dead for 10 minutes. It was a really rough recovery, and then I lost my job that I had for 18 years. So I have been recovering as well as reinventing myself so to speak.

I am in the process of opening a Renaissance themed restaurant and night club. I have an old church that looks like a castle that I am renovating. Well I think it looks like a castle-

I was just telling Mechman that I am building a custom rear projector setup up in the balcony. It will be a retractable system with a 15-20 foot diagonal screen. I will use it for events like Superbowl Sunday, the Daytona 500, as well as for Karaoke nights. I'll be using every trick I know and then some for this setup that's for sure. If anyone remembers some of my old threads on here like 'Making a screen from nothing' or something like that, well this is going to make working with rough walls look like a walk in the park I think. Mainly because of the size and scope of engineering a retractable rear projection screen system. Hopefully it should be pretty epic though:smile:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Hey Bill!
Sorry to hear your troubles bud, I was actually thinking about you last week, wondering where you went.
Was literally shocked to see a post from ya.
Must be nice to lose your job and decide to buy an old Church to fix up, I'd be sweatin' bullets looking for a new job!
Glad you are doing better bud!

Gary

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Great to have you back, Bill. Sounds like a rough trip that you have come back from pretty strong. Keep us posted on the project! I would love to see it.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Btw Bill, how's it going dealing with the Hysterical....ahhhhhhh the Historical Society? Is that registered?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It isn't registered but it probably should be, so I don't have to deal with them.

Dealing with the local town council and building code guy is another story. What a pain they are. Basically a bunch of small town people that are bullies and like to make things difficult just because they can.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
In my business we have to deal with all of those people pretty often...
"Hey, while you're there, can you paint the other 12 conduits we should have had the other guys do?"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Absolutely nothing has changed in DIY screen world Bill. You still have the same old crack pots at avs defying the laws of physics and worshiping Gryzboken! Well I guess Ftoast had something new, paintwise, last time I looked. But it was a mica mix IIRC.
HA, more like something old being tried with whatever I could find nearby for a good price.
I loved the simplicity of BlackWidow but was curious how close (and how dark-colored) I could get using mica-based metallics that were easier to find at the local HomeDepot or Walmart...it kind of spiralled out of control from there.

I'd love to know how much color-shifting is going on due to the mica as well as anything else that could be learned from proper testing if that's still a service I can freely exploit and/or borrow from some willing member.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts