Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please allow me to introduce myself. I learned of the existence of this forum less than about 3 hours ago from a member of this forum who joined a forum of which I have been a member for years. Growing up I was a builder of things. I have had a long interest in high fidelity audio systems. My interests really began when a group of 4 men from Great Britain started producing music that quickly took over the airwaves in the US. I had a choice of two radio stations, one AM the other FM that played their music. As soon as I could I obtained an FCC third class broadcast license and became one of the evening and weekend voices of my hometown FCC minimum power sunrise to sunset AM radio station. I quickly was drawn to the technology. About 6 years later I was in the Boston area and found Tech HiFi. My budget at the time allowed only a minimal system. 2-1/2 years after I left Boston I moved to New York City. I had a bigger budget this time and found a Tech HiFi in my neighborhood. Thanks to their trade in/trade up program I quickly had their top of the line audiophile system. (Bonus points for anyone who can figure out what years I am describing and so how old I am.)
I have two sons who have all the musical skills I don't have. About 9 months after the first was born I became the head sound tech at my church, because a neighbor knew of my history in radio. When they were 5 and 7 years old I connected my audiophile system, which was still working, to my TV and DVD(?) player and played Independence Day. My sons were very much struck by how they could "feel" the sound. Then roughly a year later I was in a black ice caused traffic accident that caused me to be a total paraplegic. Fast forward to present day, a couple of months ago the pre-amp, amp, FM tuner were found but not the speakers or turntable, so I have no easy way to determine if anything still works. I recently was beginning to build an upgrade to my woodworking shop and obtained iron-on melamine for the surfaces of my workbenches. The place I obtained that from was really a do-it-yourself (home theater? sound system?) online store, and I was intrigued by the subwoofer kit. On the day of this writing I went to my favorite woodworking web site (Administrator Cricket, can you figure out which one? warning: I use a different screen name there) and found a new member there who is a member here.

At any rate I look forward to exploring this site, getting to know members of this site, and I hope getting new projects for myself.:smile:

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Welcome to the SHACK... Glad you joined.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Welcome aboard TAwheels, always nice to have another enthusiast with us.

I think I can guess the website (routerforums.com). And I use the same forum name here! Was it you that needed a custom router table?

Was the band Supertramp? 58 years old?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining us here at HTS.
Welcome twice. Both here and back to this wonderful hobby!
Welcome to the SHACK... Glad you joined.
Welcome aboard TAwheels, always nice to have another enthusiast with us.

I think I can guess the website (routerforums.com). And I use the same forum name here! Was it you that needed a custom router table?

Was the band Supertramp? 58 years old?
Thank you all for your warm welcome. puukorva, it is indeed both here and back to this wonderful hobby that I feel welcomed.

Tonto, you got the website correct. I was not the one who started the post about needing a custom router table; I was the one to whom Cherryville Chuck referred the poster.
It was a different band, a band with a name that few people know was an homage to the band that was one of the pioneers of rock, Buddy Holl(e)y and the Crickets. The British band was the Beatles so you underestimated my age by a few years.
Another bit of trivia, George Harrison visited relatives living near Peoria IL in 1983 and heard Beatles music being played almost continuously. He went back and convinced the others they had to come to the US. I think to a very great extent that was one of the origins of interest in high fidelity sound systems, and then as the technology improved, video became an important part of the experience and so now Home Theater Systems. I guess I'm one of the early adapters. I now leave in an area where Peoria IL is the nearest big city.

Being a member of Home Theater Shack and RouterForums indicates why I am also very interested in hearing safety. Woodworking routers are very loud, hearing damaging loud. Appreciation of a good home theater system requires (or is at least greatly enhanced by) good hearing. Age also robs one of good hearing, and I am old enough that hearing problems do come into play. I am missing part of the upper octave of the normal hearing range but the rest of it seems to be in good shape.

At any rate, whatever else I am here to enjoy and learn 21st century home theater systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts