Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New user, longtime lurker and lifetime audio fan. My first major purchase was an Onkyo stereo system in 1992, I had gotten a job as soon as I turned 16 and with my mom's help I got a loan for $1000 and negotiated $200 off the asking price. To this day, it ranks as probably the best money I have ever spent, for it instilled in me a love of quality audio and learning more about the subject became one of my most treasured hobbies. 25 years later I still have the same passion for audio, and while some people might scoff at the amount of money and time I spend with my hobby, but I believe I am among friends here.

I live in Great Falls, Mt, and the worst thing about my hobby is definitely where I live. There are barely any audio shops here in MT, and the ones we do have really don't stock the "good stuff". I depend on forums such as these and posters who have reviewed products to make my decisions on what to buy, rather than auditioning in a store as it's simply not possible here. Rarely do I buy a piece of equipment without reading about it online first, so I figure after so much taking it's time to start giving some back. I recently put in a pre-order for a PSA s7201 subwoofer, I'm counting the days until it ships next Friday (6 more days :D), and I'm eager to share my experiences with it so others can learn how it stacks up against my SVS PB13 Ultra. This will be the first PSA product I've owned, and I'm proud to say I talked to Tom and one question I had before I bought it was if anyone in MT had any PSA products. I'm the first guy in the whole state, and I do have to say that did influence my choice. I like being the first guy on the block, or in this case, state.

As far as my equipment, it's getting a little long in the tooth. I've picked this year and into the next as time to do an upgrade to Atmos and 4K. I've updated my TV from a Panasonic Plasma (put that out in the garage) to a Sony xbr75x940d, and I plan on upgrading my Onkyo TX-NR809 sometime this fall. Currently Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, and Anthem are all fighting it out in my head to be the replacement. Onkyo got knocked out in the last round and I won't turn this intro into a bash fest, but I will say after 25 years Onkyo and I will be taking a break in our relationship. I'm honestly liking the more one on one treatment you get from a smaller company like Emotiva than what I got from Onkyo when I had a problem, and for this reason I might lean toward Anthem or maybe Emotiva. That, and I'm getting excited about the prospect of owning all equipment that is made in the USA, this type of system wasn't possible when I started out in audio so long ago.

So, look for my posts on the s7201 coming up here in the next week or so. I plan on doing an unboxing video, and possibly even a review video on youtube for this monster. I'll make sure and include links for those assuming I'm allowed to at this point in my posting career here. Thanks for reading all!

Dick

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm looking forward to your impressions. I should be receiving my S7201 (SoCal) sometime next week. I can't wait.

I am also considering an unboxing video. A video of me moving the monster up a flight of stairs might soon follow. I'll have lots of pics too. We can share notes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been following your posts on AVS Forum, unfortunately I was kicked off there for mouthing off to a Mod... I can only lurk now lol. I'll be watching for your posts and impressions, and your journey hoisting the beast up your stairs!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can post some here too. The other site can get a little hostile at times.

I can't wait to hear what you think either. I've been really enjoying the sub. I am going to get a mic next week or so. It's all moot though, because the sub is incredible and I have a good spot for it with a decent response.

I also want to start with a couple bass traps. I think I can bang some out pretty quick. I just need to determine the size and find some good quality burlap type fabric that is durable and aesthetically pleasing. Hanging the corner bass traps will be another issue altogether.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please do post here too, this site seems like it could use some life pumped into it. I'm watching the progress of my sub across the country, pretty sure it's in Denver now. Got a bit concerned when the last update posted was that it left Chicago for Denver on the 24th, but it hasn't been updated to say it arrived. I sent a quick message to someone on the site asking them if this is unusual, they said not to worry as they don't update systems on the weekend. I felt reassured that the delivery truck wasn't hijacked leaving Chicago and my sub was safe, not providing the bass ambiance in a mafioso nightclub. So I'm hoping sometime Tues/Wed at the latest the beast arrives, I'll know more tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts