Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone out there! I am new to home theater and I am currently finishing my basement and I wish to build my own home theater system. I don't even know where to place each of the many questions that I have. However, the biggest question that I have is regarding where to mount my projector. I've read that the best image comes from one that is mounted in the center of the screen so to speak. But in my floor-plan it would be so much better if I could place it over by my bar area (which would make it somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 degrees off the point of center from the screen).

I'm guessing this would be bad for image quality, so what do I do?

In other news I went to our local home theater guys and was quoted a price of over $10000 just for the screen and projector then another $20-$25k for a surround sound system. I do not wish to go this route. At one time I had (through Amazon) selected a projector, screen, sound system- everything for around 4K. However the finishing of the wiring etc got delayed and the items were not saved in my cart (rookie mistake)... Anyway I would appreciate tips there.

Thanks everyone, nice to meet you.

Matt

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Hi Matt, welcome,

Sounds like they were taking you for a ride! You can definitely do better than 35k. I can’t offer much on the projector side, bit afaik PJ’s can be adjusted within reason to deliver great image quality. I will also say that it’s worth investing in quality bass. How big is the space? Subwoofers “see” all of the open air available, and will try to fill all that space. Speakers on the other hand work more directly with the listening position.
FWIW, I am a tower guy, but you can get good performance with good bookshelf speakers and high quality subwoofers.
Are you looking at doing Atmos?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there thank you for the response. The open area that I am dedicating to theatre is roughly 28x20(I don't recall the exact measurements ATM). I just finished framing my entire basement and I am wiring electric now. So I intend to do ATMOS yes. And I am thinking about in the wall and ceiling for the speakers. Are you suggesting against in wall setup?

I am thinking about a fixed 100" screen and projector type of setup. However, my wife thinks we should just do a normal TV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts