Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I work in the performing arts as a Production Manager for a large university in NE Georgia. I manage 4 venues in 3 facilities, with home base being our Performing Arts Center which houses 2 first class concert halls (1,100 seat large scale and 360 seat recital) where my dept presents 25-30 touring companies/artists a year along with supporting the university's school of music. I have been really, really spoiled with these concert halls. i.e.- I had a touring artist perform a violin recital in the big hall and afterwards patrons came to me and asked how I mic'd it to sound so natural. I just smiled and admitted that I actually didn't mic it at all (remember- 1,100 seats!).

I write chamber music as a hobby and post it at imhoof studios on myspace- for anyone who might be interested.

I have been very happy with my audio system ever since I purchased the components back in college (a long time ago in a land far, far away). Since then, I've upgraded my television sets periodically (whenever I had the funds), but my audio has never needed it. It has always been the system I went to for critical listening for any recording. However, age is catching up and my Carver receiver/amp gave out last fall. My speakers have also started to have issues. I've been researching different ideas and joining different forums for the past few weeks with the idea that I'll make an informed decision on how to proceed. It just made sense to join up here as well, since sound is an integral part of HT.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Hi Graf,
We're glad you decided to join us here at the Shack.
Just curious,... what speakers have you enjoyed since college that you're now having issues with?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Shack!

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Graf. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Polk Audio Monitor 7 (c. 1991). They have been beautiful for 18 yrs. They still sound fine at lower levels, but when I listen to concert band recordings I get a mechanical distortion in the right side. I've had these long enough that I think I've gotten my money's worth, so I'm going to try building a pair of speakers for replacements. If that doesn't work, I can always replace the woofers and continue on. If everything works out perfectly I could end up with a wonderful Open Baffle pair of speakers with a wonderful box pair of speakers to compare to each other.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Welcome to the Shack Graf.:clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts