Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having fun with an Aaxa P300 for a few months now, but most of that has been outdoors or simply finding a suitable wall/ceiling inside. Now I've gotten to a point where I'd like to fix up a fairly dedicated "theater" room. The P300 is a three LED DLP business projector rated at a slim 300 lumens. It is said to have accurate gray scales, good colors (though magenta can get obnoxious if you oversaturate colors too much) and 80%+ uniformity. I'd like to stay with the P300 projector for now.

The room is 12' by 13'6" and the walls look to be a very pale pink/off-white satin. The white ceiling is fairly matte and the carpet is a dark red. Controlling light from outside and other rooms won't be a problem, and I may try putting up long curtains along the walls if reflection becomes an issue. The single, small row of seating (cough* couch) will be against the far opposite wall to the screen. Throw distance will probably be 10ft. For the screen, I'm planning on painting a 4'x7' 1/2-3/4" sheet of birch plywood and eventually using curtains or moveable boarders for masking.

The odd thing that brings me to my questioning is; in a different setting with total light control, I have been able to stretch an image up over a 14' diagonal without feeling like my whites were too dull. The ProjectorCentral calculator says I'm seeing almost 4fL. I've also played around with a small black (N2?) painted screen, and noticed that around 27-30" looks alright, but 38"+ definitely looks dulled and looses shadow details without turning up the black level/brightness. This leaves a pretty big gap between N2 to N9 and 30" to 14'.

With so much grey screen leeway, I'm curious what I can get away with on a 4x7' screen (listed as 10fL at unity gain). I've read that the BlackWidow mixes can only get so dark before looking sparkly/grainy, so I'm wondering:

Using a very dim projector, how dark can a BlackWidow mix go before it is considered a better choice to use a plain neutral grey? (I understand it may be a range of numbers, a rough estimate is far better than nothing.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A N7. Although, i can't understand the logic to go gray with such a low lumens projector.
Thanks. That should be a nice value for experimenting with between flat gray and BW (once I finally get the AAA).

As for the reason to go gray.. I already know and enjoy how this particular projector looks on a very large white screen (around 4fL). Now I'd like to try to achieve that same look on a smaller screen. A grey screen should improve my black-levels and possibly allow some occasional controlled lighting to share the room in exchange for knocking down some of the overall brightness that I don't really miss.
If the picture does end up too dim, I can always paint it again.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction..I probably would've started WAY too dark on my own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts