Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 1048 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooooooooooo, anyone on here an avid griller/smoker/charred flesh in general type of person? I've been on a grilling hiatus for the last couple of years due to laziness, but have renewed my love for burnt animal flesh again and have been going crazy lately. Right now I'm on the tail end of a 12 hour smoke of 9 lb pork butt on my 22 inch Weber kettle... next on the agenda is a couple racks of baby back ribs ribs smoked with hickory and a LITTLE bit of mesquite.

Not sure yet where I'm gonna get a barrell from , but I plan on building a UDS (ugly drum smoker) for some serious 16+ hour smokes

see pic below for what a UDS is.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would like to get into it but laziness gets me as well. If you were closer I would be open to samples though ;).

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to get into it but laziness gets me as well. If you were closer I would be open to samples though ;).
lol, yeah laziness got me for several years, but with the addition of some new grilling chimneys and a steady cheap supply of charcoal I got back into my hobby. well, if you're ever in the Tucson Area I ALWAYS have SOMETHING smoked lying around :D

here's how the pork butt turned out

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yummy... makes me wanna go cook one.

And yes... I LOVE to grill and do it all the time. I post this here a while back: Rib tips with sauce ... I lost some of those pics somehow, but the main ones are still there.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woooooooooow, those rib tips looks goooooooooooooooooooooooood. did 2 racks of St Louis style ribs the other day. turned out BEATIFUL (used 4 different sauces on those suckers since it was end of the month and just blended what leftovers I had from previous different sauce batches)

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I can't say that I have any words of wisdom other than the best steaks I've produced were...from the oven! :neener: As hot as it will go, 550°, for 6-8 minutes for a thick new york strip or t-bone results in a gloriously tender medium rare steak that isn't dried-out or burnt like it would come from my gas grill. I ruined many a steak on my gas grill :nono:

Next time I dabble will definitely be with a smoker, as my dad had a gas/wood chip trashcan smoker 30 years ago that made anything taste great. I remember eating croaker and whiting from the Gulf that were smoky-delicious!

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have welding skills, check out this build. I considered building this one since my big smoker uses way too much fuel for just doing a small amount of meat.

http://www.theathomewelder.com/2010/01/04/diy-drum-smoker/
man, that looks like an interesting build. my welding skills aren't up to par otherwise I'd try a build like that

and completely understand on fuel consumption. that's why I use a weber 22.5 inch kettle to smoke single briskets, pork butts etc.... unless I'm doing a giant stack of meat I have no need to break out the big boys

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tonight I lucked out and found a lb of Filet Mignon on clearance at my local safeway for $6.49 a lb (safeway always does this 50% off clearance for meat that comes within a day of the "sell by date" ... so I fired up the weber kettle and made a nice medium filet, side salad with creamy ranch dressing and fresh squeezed lemonade from the tree out back.

I think this coming up week I'm gonna do some smoked country style pork ribs and some cowboy baked beans

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I cooked up some pork butt this weekend and we just finished eating it tonight.

I cooked a little of it in the crock pot and used the broth to cook rice. That stuff is always good.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cooked up some pork butt this weekend and we just finished eating it tonight.

I cooked a little of it in the crock pot and used the broth to cook rice. That stuff is always good.
ooooooooooo, using the broth to cook rice. now that's something I haven't tried before. I'll have to try that with some of my next drippings or if I do it in the oven

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
It's the only way to cook rice. If we boil a chicken to make chicken 'n' dumplings then we have to take two cups of the broth out to cook a cup of rice.

We like our rice firm and not sticky/mushy... so we always use about a 1/4 cup less broth than what is called for on the rice box. I think it is 2¼ cups water to 1 cup of rice, so we would only use 2 cups of water (broth). Of course we usually do 2 cups rice and 4 cups broth to make enough to eat on for a couple of days. Bring to a boil, turn down on med heat, cover and cook for 17-18 minutes. Then right before you eat it, toss a couple of tablespoons of the broth on the cooked rice to really give it even more flavor.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yummy... makes me wanna go cook one.

And yes... I LOVE to grill and do it all the time. I post this here a while back: Rib tips with sauce ... I lost some of those pics somehow, but the main ones are still there.
hey sonnie, I took a look around and the only place I can find rib tips is at Walmart down here (no other grocery store seems to carry them). they look like a full slab of spare ribs almost... but the bones appear to be running long ways instead of short ways (or at least that's how it felt at first grip)..... are these the type I'm looking for ?? and did you just cut them into pieces to get them to look like you did in your photos? for $1.38 a lb I'm tempted to grab some and follow your recipe

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Walmart is about the only place to get them, but they have two different packings of rib tips, so you have to be careful what you get. Sometimes they have just one or the other out... and sometimes they have both. Notice the look in the picture. These are the very tips of the ribs, which has a paddle like bone. Sometimes Walmart will simply cut spareribs long ways and call the rib tips, but they are not actually tips. Those are pretty good cut that way, but they are not the same as real rib tips.

1 - 20 of 1048 Posts