Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 1048 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Funny this thread has re-emerged as I've decided to dip my toes into the smoking waters. I just bought a Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn and a chord of Hickory. I'll be doing my seasoning of the smoker this Wednesday and looking forward to my maiden smoke that afternoon. Still pondering what meat to smoke and leaning towards something forgiving if there is such a thing. Have a couple of mods on order from Horizon…diffuser plate and a charcoal basket.
Pork butt is probably THE most forgiving piece of meat out there.

And congrats on the longhorn. Stick burners take extra work but having fun with fire is the pull for those babies :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Why didn't I find this thread sooner??!! This I right up my alley, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who takes pictures of the food when smoking or grilling. Lol
This is a slab off of a prime rib roast I smoked this passed weekend, and I even got all fancy with the presentation for the guests I had over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Pork butt is probably THE most forgiving piece of meat out there. And congrats on the longhorn. Stick burners take extra work but having fun with fire is the pull for those babies :)
The pork butt was on the short list. Yes, I know the stick burners require a bit more babysitting but that's all the more reason to be outside with a cold drink. :)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Why didn't I find this thread sooner??!! This I right up my alley, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who takes pictures of the food when smoking or grilling. Lol This is a slab off of a prime rib roast I smoked this passed weekend, and I even got all fancy with the presentation for the guests I had over.
Nice, that looks really good!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Killer looking prime rib!!! :T

I also like to do baby backs. No vinegar there though, I prefer Memphis style!

(My son got a hold of the JB&B BBQ sauce and doused the top one before I could take a pic, but sticky and tender is the way to make 'em)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Jack Stack is good stuff. Check out Oklahoma Joe's if you want to take it to another level.
I will have to check that out:). I have had Carson's it's in Chicago they do mail order also. There ribs and chicken are great and reasonable for downtown.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Jack Stack is good stuff. Check out Oklahoma Joe's if you want to take it to another level.
Didn't see any mail order?? I kick my self for not stopping around there for some cue. Have a friend in Witchatard and was just to stupid to stop while driving by.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Killer looking prime rib!!! :T

I also like to do baby backs. No vinegar there though, I prefer Memphis style!

(My son got a hold of the JB&B BBQ sauce and doused the top one before I could take a pic, but sticky and tender is the way to make 'em)
Those ribs look delicious! I'm with you, I'm not a big vinegar type of guy. Though from time to time I'll make a vinegar based sauce for those that do like it.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I don't go for the sweet sauces to put on the meat.
Most of the time we buy the house sauce from Baker's Ribs and sometimes I make a mustard / vinegar sauce.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I have Coleman's powder for my rub, but Chashint sounded like he was making a sauce. I have seen mustard based sauces, but I have never tried one (well, I do use a honey mustard glaze when I grill salmon).

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Interesting...any specific kind of mustard. I am always on the lookout for something new and different.
Nothing special at all, French's (or generic if I think about making it when I am in the store) .
I have not settled on a recipe, I keep Googling them and trying different ones.
When I was a kid my uncle made a mustard BBQ sauce that was awesome and we put it on everything but unfortunately the secret recipe passed on many many years ago.
I will probably never find one that matches those memories but it's fun playing around with it.

I only use dry rub when I am cooking the meat.
I am also fond of the Texas crutch method of smoking so I collect the drippings from that and use them as the fat and part of the water when I make the dipping sauce

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Well it's a beautiful day in north east Texas today and I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people making backyard BBQ.
Today (just for something a little different) I used Cavander's Greek Seasoning on my ribs instead of a more traditional BBQ spice rub.
Got em started around 0730 and I have had good smoke.
The foil in front of the water tray are pouches with hickory chips, it works good but if the smoke holes are to big it will catch fire instead of just shoulder and smoke.
I just transferred the ribs into the foil trays for some simmering time with a brushing of BBQ sauce and put the potatoes on the hot side of the grill. The beans are in the oven so it is looking good for launch.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 1048 Posts